Vacancy for Senior Level Administrative Position: Dean, School of Agriculture The University of Ghana hereby, invites applications from suitably qualified persons for the position of Dean, School of Agriculture, College of Basic and Applied Sciences, to take effect from 1 st August 2024.
POSITION: Dean, School of Agriculture
REPORTING TO: Provost, College of Basic and Applied Sciences
OBJECTIVES OF THE COLLEGE: The College of Basic and Applied Sciences
shall advance the objectives of each of its constituent Units and by these specific objectives, to:
• Develop world-class scientists to meet national and global developmental needs through quality teaching, learning, research, innovation and extension.
• Enhance staff capacity through systematic staff development programmes.
• Enhance research capabilities of staff for increased output in teaching and publications.
• Develop effective processes for public engagement.
• Create a congenial environment for teaching research and student learning experiences.
The School of Agriculture is made up of the following Departments and Centres:
• Department of Agricultural Economics and Agribusiness
• Department of Agricultural Extension
• Department of Animal Science
• Department of Crop Science
• Department of Family and Consumer Sciences
• Department of Soil Science
• Forest and Horticultural Crop Research Centre (FOHCREC)
• Livestock and Poultry Research Centre (LIPREC)
• Soil and Irrigation Research Centre (SIREC)
• The Dean is responsible for providing leadership to the School and for maintaining and promoting the efficiency and good order in accordance with the policies and procedures prescribed by the University Act and Statutes, or as may be determined by the Council, the Academic Board and the School Management Committee.
• The Dean is to ensure that the approved programmes and functions of the School
are duly carried out by members of the School.
• The Dean is also responsible for the general administration of the School in respect of human, financial and material resources within the general framework of University policy.
The successful candidate must:
• be of professorial status from an academic/research institution or a person from industry eligible for that position.
• be capable of providing academic leadership especially in the area of teaching, research and extension in the relevant disciplines.
• provide evidence of managerial and administrative leadership and capacity to promote a collegial working environment in the School.
• demonstrate capacity to attract funding for research and development.
• have the vision and the drive to oversee the growth and development of the School.
A Dean shall hold office for three years on terms and conditions recommended by the Appointments Board and is eligible for re-appointment for a further term of up to three years.
How To Apply For The Job
Applicants are required to submit the complete application pack addressed to the Registrar, University of Ghana, through
firstname.lastname@example.org (Electronic copy only). Hard copy applications will not be accepted.
The application pack should be submitted as a single PDF file and should contain the following:
• Completed application form for Senior Level Administrative Positions (UAB Form 1C) to be downloaded from the University’s website at www.ug.edu.gh/hrodd/
• An up-to-date Curriculum Vitae and copies of relevant academic and/or professional certificates.
• A statement of about 2,500 words (not more than five pages) indicating how
one intends to use the period in office to address relevant issues that will ensure that the University achieves its mission and vision. The UG strategic plan can be downloaded at: http://www.ug.edu.gh/pad/publication/ugstrategic-plan.
Additionally, applicants should request two clearly marked letters of reference from persons familiar with their professional competencies, to be sent directly to the Registrar, through email@example.com
Closing Date: 13 February, 2024
Further information about the University of Ghana may be found on the university website at www.ug.edu.gh.
Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.