United Nations University’s Mission: The United Nations University (UNU) is an international community of scholars, engaged in research, postgraduate teaching and capacity development and dissemination of knowledge in furthering the purposes and principles of the Charter of the United Nations. For more information, please visit www.unu.edu.
UNU-EHS : established in December 2003, addresses the risk and vulnerability aspects of human security and the consequences of complex environmental hazards for sustainable development. The work of UNU‐EHS helps to improve the in‐depth understanding of the cause effect relationships to find ways to reduce risks and vulnerabilities. The Institute supports policymakers and decision makers with evidence‐based research and information. www.ehs.unu.edu.
PACET SECTION: The Pan African Cooperation and Educational Technologies (PACET) section at UNU-EHS aims to strengthen research, educational and institutional capacities of UNU-EHS in Africa. The program fosters cooperation between UNU and African institutions in higher education, research, policy and practice to develop innovative methods and appropriated solutions to address challenges particularly in the frame of the Agenda 2063 of the African Union and the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).
The cooperation with the Pan African University is a culmination of continental initiatives of the African Union Commission to revitalize higher education and research in Africa represents a main aspect of the programme.
The programme particularly supports the institutional development of the Pan African University Institute for Water and Energy Sciences (incl. Climate Change – PAUWES) in Algeria by enhancing its teaching and research activities in water, energy and climate change thanks numerous projects (Water and Energy Security in Africa – WESA; Risk Assessment and Reduction strategies for Sustainable Urban Resource Supply in Sub-Saharan Africa – RARSUS; Higher Education Cooperation with PAUWES, etc.).
Information Communication Technologies (ICT) plays a key role in the activity of the programme with regards to eLearning/distance education, strategic networking and cooperation as well as new media in the context of WEB 2.0 and open source technologies.
The programme leverages digital technologies to strengthen educational and research capacities of UNU-EHS, its partner institutions as well as scientists and practitioners at a global scale. Furthermore, it investigates the teaching – research nexus to enhance higher education and capacity development by using educational technologies. It conceptualizes and implements innovative methodologies and technologies to design and deliver educational materials, to build and maintain networks, to facilitate communication and knowledge sharing and to enhance project work.
The programme organizes conferences, webinars, online discussions, workshops, and summer schools to facilitate North-South and South-South knowledge exchange and transfer and to strengthen capacities at the individual and institutional level.
Assist in conducting research in thematic priority areas that is determined jointly by the supervisor and the intern (e.g. Water supply in disasters and emergencies, Resilient Water Supply and Sanitation Services, mainstreaming of disaster risk management in the Water Supply and Sanitation Sector, Water Supply and Sanitation in Humanitarian Emergencies, Innovating humanitarian emergency water supply )
- Provide support in the development of education materials, based on guidelines provided by the supervisor.
- Provide support in research and drafting of written reports for internal and external use, based on guidelines provided by the supervisor.
- Provide support in the preparation of webinars, seminars, workshops, conferences, where applicable.
- Assist in necessary administrative and project activities
Qualifications and Requirements:
Field of Study: Master or Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in environmental and/or natural science, hydrology, geography, water management, Water and Sanitation, Humanitarian Response to Conflict and Disaster or a related field
Essential Skills and attributes:
- Excellent command of English and experience editing and writing various documents in English
- Knowledge of German language is an added advantage;
- Working experience related to the Water and Sanitation (WASH) programm will be considered as an asset
- Research skill
- Water Supply/Management during humanitarian emergency;
- Developing education materials
- Provide students with exposure to the working environment of a multilateral organization and a better understanding of UNU and PACET’s goals and activities
- Enhance the educational experience of students through practical and guided hands-on exposure, development and involvement in projects;
Duration: The successful candidate will be based at UNU-EHS in Bonn on a full-time basis for a contractual period ranging from 3 to 6 months. The internship is not remunerated.