Full Time Shovel & Drill Maintenance Mechanic- Newmont
Shovel & Drill Maintenance Mechanic
Newmont Mining Corporation is a leading global gold producer with key assets in Nevada, Peru, Australia, Ghana and Suriname.
Newmont’s Africa Operations holds two gold mining operations in Ghana: the Ahafo Mine located in the Brong-Ahafo region and the Akyem Mine located in the Eastern region. There is also near mine exploration and development focus in Ghana to annually replace gold reserves. Newmont Africa also has early-stage exploration programs in the African countries of Ethiopia and Morocco.
Our Africa operations employ approximately 5,900 employees and contractors, with the majority working at the Ahafo Mine. We offer an unparalleled blend of opportunity and career satisfaction with all the benefits you would expect from a global company. This, combined with our growth opportunities, makes Newmont a great company to work.
Our Akyem and Ahafo mines have made significant sustainable community development investments in our host communities. These include establishing Development Funds at our Akyem and Ahafo operational areas with each mine contributing US$1 per ounce of gold sold and 1% of net pre-tax annual profit into its community development fund.
The only gold company listed in the S&P 500 index, Newmont in 2007 became the first gold company selected to be part of the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index. Newmont’s industry leading performance is reflected through our Africa operations’ high standards in environmental management, health and safety for our workforce and creating value and opportunity for our employees, host communities and Newmont’s shareholders.
To conduct mechanical maintenance, deployment, troubleshooting, replacement, repair, and testing of equipment on drills, shovels and support equipment, according to OEM specifications and safety standards to ensure equipment availability and optimal mining operations and production.
- Perform preventive maintenance routines and inspections.
- Generate a work order before the remedial or repair work is carried out.
- Raise a job card for work to be carried out, if any problems are identified.
- Accomplish work objectives by determining own work schedule, coordinate with support services
- Attend to items on the maintenance planning schedule, as and when required.
- Perform installations, maintenance and repair activities, in accordance with OEM specifications.
- Troubleshoot technical and / or operational problems.
- Perform routine maintenance on all mechanical equipment and ensure effective functioning, including but not limited to maintenance of drills, shovels and support equipment.
- Perform a variety of other maintenance tasks, such as breakdowns and preventative maintenance.
- Disassemble and assemble various major components for repair works.
- Ensure that all lock-out / tag-outs are completed, before any work is carried out.
- Provide information in terms of sufficient spare availability and stock levels.
- Assist specialists in making more complex repairs.
- Work within established procedures and operating manuals, as set out by the OEMs and best practice.
- Check that daily and rotational quality targets are achieved, including First Stop After PM (FSAPM), Mean Time Between Failure (MTBF) and Mean Time To Repairs (MTTR)
- Conduct daily inspection and lube services to the machines
- Collect oil samples from mining fleet using best practices to minimize contamination.
- Carry out inspection on all mechanical equipment daily and record all findings from the inspection.
- Check all malfunctioned machinery and equipment and conduct root cause analysis to diagnose whether to repair or replace.
- Analyze specified problems and issues to find the best technical solutions within OEM specifications.
- Strive to reduce downtime and minimize costs.
- Maintain records of maintenance and repair work.
- Produce daily reports indicating the jobs for the day and submit the report to the Supervisor.
Health, Safety and Environment
- Deliver own prescribed outcomes and / or provide support services, by applying Newmont’s Health, Safety and Environment systems, policies and protocols.
- Inspect the equipment to check and identify any mechanical and basic electrical risks.
- Attend all safety meetings.
Formal Qualification (including Professional Registrations):
- Mechanical Engineering Technician certificate.
- Mechanic Trade training, apprenticeship.
- MINCOM certified as Inspection Engineer as an advantage.
- Advanced knowledge of mechanical maintenance principles and industry standards.
- Advanced knowledge and experience of maintaining Drills. Shovels and support equipment.
- Knowledge of the work management process.
- Knowledge of planning and scheduling.
- Knowledge of CMMS/ERP
- Minimum of 3 years’ mechanical maintenance experience in a mining plant / process environment, preferably repairing and maintaining drill, shovels and support equipment.
- Communication (written and verbal) and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to read and understand technical documentation such as technical instructions, test procedures and technical manuals.
- Ability to identify problems and to report by using technical names of equipment parts.
GET MORE INTERVIEWS WITH SOBIAONLINE. CHOOSE FROM THE PACKAGES BELOW
Position is in a very remote location. The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representatives of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform essential functions of this job.
- specific vision abilities required by the job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, and ability to adjust focus.
- physical demands: While performing the duties of the job, the employee is required to work in confined spaces and will be required to work at heights.
- work environment: The employee is required to operate in a safety-critical environment with hazardous materials and potentially harmful / dangerous machinery and equipment. The employee is occasionally exposed to noise more than 85 decibels, and to fumes, high temperature hazardous materials, sharp edges, dust, pinch-points, vibration, slippery surfaces etc. The incumbent will regularly lift heavy materials and / or operate heavy machinery.
Our business success comes from the accomplishments and well-being of our employees and contractors. Our goal is to build a workplace culture that fosters leaders and allows every person to thrive, contribute, and grow. We are committed to selecting and developing our employees, and to establishing a work environment where everyone can take an active part in reaching our strategic goals while feeling a sense of pride in working at Newmont.
Newmont seeks to recruit, hire, place and promote qualified applicants, meaning applicants who meet the minimum requirements of the position, without regard to personal characteristics such as gender, race, nationality, ethnic, social and indigenous origin, religion or belief, disability, age or sexual orientation or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
NOTE: Newmont does not ask for or require job applicants to pay money to apply or be considered for employment with the Company. In addition, Newmont does not ask potential job candidates to provide sensitive personal data without first submitting a job application through our secure, online portal, and only as requested for legitimate business purposes. If you are asked to provide money or sensitive personal data through any other means, do not respond and please report this immediately to firstname.lastname@example.org.
24 total views, 1 today