Full TimeProject Manager for CARE International
CARE is a global leader within a worldwide movement dedicated to ending poverty. Our mission around the world is to save lives, defeat poverty and achieve social justice.
Our Core Values describe who we are, what we do, and how we do it.
We believe in urgent action, innovation, and the necessity of transformation – within the world and our own organization.
We are accountable to the people and partners we humbly serve, transparently sharing our results, stories and lessons.
We know that by embracing differences, actively including a variety of voices, and joining together we can solve the world’s most complex problems.
We believe in the equal value of every human being and the importance of respecting and honoring each individual; we know that change happens through people.
We challenge ourselves to the highest levels of learning and performance, tapping the best of human spirit to create impact.
Cooperative for Assistance and Relief Everywhere, Inc. doing business as CARE International in Ghana (“CARE”) is seeking qualified candidates for a role as Project Manager. The full-time position will be based in CARE Kumasi Sub-Office with regular visit to the Wassa East district of the Western region.
The Project Manager has responsibility for the overall successful implementation of the project. S/He will provide technical and managerial support to the project team (Project Officer, Facilitators and Community Extension agents) and partners in ensuring smooth implementation of the project to achieve project objectives. S/He has responsibility for maintaining effective working relationships with the Programme Coordinating Unit of Mondelez International and other stakeholders, with the support of the Sub Office Team Leader, CIUK Private Sector Team and ACD- Programmes. S/He will represent CARE at project meetings. S/He will facilitate learning among project team and stakeholders. S/He has overall responsibility for ensuring the implementation of the M&E system of the program.
The PM will report directly to the ACD-Programme and will be based in the Takoradi or Wassa District.
Key areas of responsibility of the Project Manager will include:
- Take lead responsibility for providing strategic direction for project- Design, develop and implement project strategies and work plans, ensuring they are in line with the Mondelez International Cocoa Life programme objectives, strategies and principles, and CARE’s mission and vision. Design and implement project approaches and methodologies aiming towards community empowerment, Farmer cooperative capacity building, policy influence as well as learning.
- Lead and support Project team to develop, manage and monitor effective partner relationship with communities, district, regional and national stakeholders – Ensure CARE has established, formalized and effectively managed partnerships with the beneficiary communities and local partners, Conduct capacity assessments and facilitate institutional capacity building for partners, District and regional level stakeholders. Develop and maintain positive linkages with relevant district, regional and national government institution staff in District Assemblies especially MOFA as well as COCOBOD subsidiaries.
- Ensure project management in accordance with CARE Ghana Policies – Manage project budgets, including tracking of financial and material resources using established budget management tools and systems. With the support of Finance Team/Grants Manager, prepare and regularly track annual budgets, in line with project annual plans as well as any other periodic budgets that may be required.
- With the support of the project team, ensure the development of a learning agenda – Design and implement an effective participatory monitoring and evaluation system. Organize annual, semiannual and quarterly planning and review sessions for sharing with stakeholders. Documentation of project experiences in user friendly forms for different categories of stakeholders. Organize and participate in learning and sharing events at the district, regional and national levels.
Required Skills or Experience
- A minimum qualification of university degree in Agriculture, Agriculture Economics, Development Planning, Social Science or related field
- Masters degree in any of the above will be an added advantage
- At least five years experience in working with smallholder farmers, communities, Community Based Organisations (CBOs) and traditional institutions, NGOs and public sector agencies
- Five years experience in project management position preferably in NGO setting; facilitating agricultural value chain interventions
- Proven strong facilitation and capacity development skills and experience in participatory approaches. Ability to negotiate and work with partners and organisations at all levels from community to national level policy makers
- Good understanding of socio-economic issues, Strategic and conceptual thinking ability
- Good knowledge of agricultural value chain program design and implementation
- Excellent communication skills and a team player
- Good spoken English and excellent writing skills,
- Sound managerial skills and Multitasking
- Ability to work under pressure and deliver
- Excellent Writing, presentation and reporting skills
- Computer skills including MS Word, MS excel and Power Point.
- Ability to manage partnerships
- Strong skills in the design and implementation of M & E systems
- People Management
- Good leadership, coaching and negotiation skills.