Full Time Data Scientist – Geoscience for AngloGold
AngloGold Ashanti Limited (AGA) is the world’s third largest gold producer with 14 operations in nine countries. This globally diverse, world-class portfolio is supported by focused exploration in the established and new gold producing regions of the world. AGA is a values-driven company and offers a working environment that allows every employee to contribute, learn and flourish.
We are now seeking a Data Scientist – Geoscience to join our International Growth & Exploration team.
Accountable to the Geoscience Information Manager the successful individual will play an important role supporting the geoscience information system landscape. Developing exploration and mining operations geology systems and providing user support to the AngloGold Ashanti geoscience community.
This permanent position can be based in either our Perth, Denver or Johannesburg offices
The main tasks/outputs of the role include but are not limited to:
- Support the geoscience information system landscape;
- Develop and support exploration and mining operations geology systems;
- Work closely with the Geoscience Information Manager to identify and take advantage of opportunities to optimise the effectiveness and efficiency of the business process;
- Support the identification and development of automated solutions to improve efficiencies and value-added benefits;
- Collaborate closely with the Data Services team to deliver on set tasks in a timely manner;
- Proactively seek out and provide suitable solutions to remedy technical and workflow related issues;
- Identify potential ML/AI applications in exploration, assist discipline experts with development (where applicable), implementation and adoption;
- Work closely with the operational teams to optimise mining geology and geometallurgical processes to provide solutions that take advantage of ML/AI technologies;
- Assist in evaluating proposals and collaborating in active projects with start-ups and research groups in topics related to data science in exploration and mining technology;;
- Keep abreast of the latest technologies within cloud computing and relational databases to ensure that AngloGold Ashanti can provide efficient exploration and mining geology services to the Growth and Exploration group and operations;
- Build business partnerships and maintain strong working relationships with key stakeholders across AGA;
- Confidently present ideas, results and recommendations to a variety of stakeholders;
- Provide mentorship and training for teams across AGA.
- Travel to relevant sites and regional offices as required to fulfil the duties and responsibilities of the role;
- Demonstrate behaviour that is consistent with the AGA Vision and Values.
The ideal candidate will possess:
- MSc or PhD degree in a relevant field with machine learning and data mining OR minimum of 4+ years’ experience in a similar role; Geoscience knowledge highly desirable.
- Knowledge of mining and mineral processing activities and workflows;
- Knowledge of mining geology and geometallurgy across areas such as material fingerprinting, mine to mill material tracking, stockpile reconciliation and metal accounting is desirable;
- Experience in identifying and developing ML/AI applications and with the implementation and adoption of applications;
- Proven experience programming in SQL, R and Python;
- Experience in Microsoft tools including PowerBI, PowerApps, Power Automate and Azure cloud;
- Literacy in data management principles and quality control systems.
- Self-motivation, be well organised with attention to detail. Flexibility with regard to challenging tasks and assignment priorities is necessary;
- A “service oriented” attitude and a work commitment to ensure allocated tasks are completed in a timely manner, particularly with respect to company reporting and presentation requirements.
- Proven ability to work constructively and collaboratively in a team;
- Ability to work efficiently and independently with an eye for detail and quality outcomes;
- Ability to work to strict deadlines and work well under pressure.
- Willingness to travel to relevant sites and regional offices as required
- Eligibility for working rights in the most appropriate AGA location for the role (Perth, Denver or Johannesburg), based on successful applicant’s situation and company requirements.
This is an excellent opportunity which offers a competitive remuneration package, challenging work and career development prospects within a global mining company.
Recruitment Agency approaches and referrals will not be accepted for this role, all interested candidates must apply directly to be considered for any role advertised by AngloGold Ashanti.
How to ApplyC LICK ON ME TO APPLY
58 total views, 1 today