Full Time Business Analyst – Fixed Assets for Newmont
Business Analyst – Fixed Assets
Newmont Mining Corporation is a leading global gold producer with key assets in Nevada, Peru, Australia, Ghana and Suriname.
Newmont’s Africa Operations holds two gold mining operations in Ghana: the Ahafo Mine located in the Brong-Ahafo region and the Akyem Mine located in the Eastern region. There is also near mine exploration and development focus in Ghana to annually replace gold reserves. Newmont Africa also has early-stage exploration programs in the African countries of Ethiopia and Morocco.
Our Africa operations employ approximately 5,900 employees and contractors, with the majority working at the Ahafo Mine. We offer an unparalleled blend of opportunity and career satisfaction with all the benefits you would expect from a global company. This, combined with our growth opportunities, makes Newmont a great company to work.
Our Akyem and Ahafo mines have made significant sustainable community development investments in our host communities. These include establishing Development Funds at our Akyem and Ahafo operational areas with each mine contributing US$1 per ounce of gold sold and 1% of net pre-tax annual profit into its community development fund.
The only gold company listed in the S&P 500 index, Newmont in 2007 became the first gold company selected to be part of the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index. Newmont’s industry leading performance is reflected through our Africa operations’ high standards in environmental management, health and safety for our workforce and creating value and opportunity for our employees, host communities and Newmont’s shareholders.
Are you an individual who can work in adherence to Newmont’s core values of;
- This position is to ensure that all capital expenditures (both tangible and intangibles) are accurately tracked and recorded in the accounting system; and also to ensure that all completed projects are transferred to appropriate asset class in the fixed assets register which satisfy both US GAAP and the International Financial Reporting Standards.
- The role will require interaction with AFE Managers, Site Finance teams, Tax, Business Planning and other departments as and when it becomes necessary.
Operations Accounting Support
- Liaise with Site Finance teams and AFE Managers to ensure that all approved AFEs are set up appropriately in the accounting system to track the project costs.
- Liaise with the Supply Chain Management Team to ensure that Insurance Spares are tracked and appropriately accounted for in the fixed assets register per the company’s policy.
- Coordinate with the Site Finance teams and the AFE managers to ensure that completed projects are capitalised promptly to enable the region benefit from tax relieves associated with such assets.
Regional Fixed Asset and SAP Support
- Run the depreciation forecast report on a monthly basis to check the reasonableness of depreciation charges before the fixed assets register module is closed.
- Reconcile all fixed assets related accounts in the Trial Balance to ensure that they tie with the fixed assets register.
- Assist the Regional Controller in executing key controls to enable Ghana to be SOX compliant by maintaining adequate evidential information to support such control executions.
- Furnish the tax department with monthly additions and disposals of assets and assist them in computation of capital allowances.
- Responsible for the creation and maintenance of Fixed Assets data in SAP.
- Work closely with the regional subject matter expert to support periodic SAP system testing.
- Update the accounting system with annual reserves information and ensure that they are aligned with the allocated deferred mine development cost for amortisation.
- Prepare annual depreciation, depletion and amortization memo for changes in depreciation rates and amortizations.
Financial Reporting Functions
- Liaise with the Site Finance teams to conduct an impairment review on half-yearly basis to ensure that carrying amounts in the financial records reflect the state of the assets (both tangible and intangible) at any given period.
- Coordinate with the Site Finance teams to take physical inventory of all company fixed assets on an annual basis where the value exceeds $10 million and for every three years for all assets.
- Liaise with internal and external auditors with their review of financial information related to fixed assets.
- Assist with the preparation of statutory reports to conform to IFRS and US GAAP.
- Provide planning support in the area of PPMD and Capex.
Major Projects Accounting Support
- Coordinate with the major projects accountant to ensure that completed assets are loaded into the fixed assets system.
- Support the fixed assets register set up for the new projects.
- Provides interim back up to the Project Accounting analyst when needed.
Formal Qualification (including professional registrations)
- Degree in Accounting or Finance required.
- CA, ACCA, or CPA qualification preferred.
- Knowledge of U.S. Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) and International Financial Reporting Standards (IFRS) required.
- Knowledge of and work experience with Sarbanes Oxley (SOx) regulations a plus.
- Between 5 to 8 years relevant accounting experience required; preferably in the mining industry.
- Excellent knowledge of computerised Global (GL) Systems.
- Excellent written and oral communications skills.
- Must have confidence to interact with corporate leaders.
- Strong leadership and management presentation skills.
- Strong computer and Excel skills.
- Demonstrate people management experience, the ability to work with internal and external partners, and experience with continuous improvement programs and integrated management systems.
- Customer focused.
- Safety conscious.
- Results driven.
- Continually Learn.
- Work under pressure.
- Regular travel is required.
- Extended and unpredictable hours is the norm.
- The incumbent is exposed to moderate mental pressure / stress.
Our business success comes from the accomplishments and well-being of our employees and contractors. Our goal is to build a workplace culture that fosters leaders and allows every person to thrive, contribute, and grow. We are committed to selecting and developing our employees, and to establishing a work environment where everyone can take an active part in reaching our strategic goals while feeling a sense of pride in working at Newmont.
Newmont seeks to recruit, hire, place and promote qualified applicants, meaning applicants who meet the minimum requirements of the position, without regard to personal characteristics such as gender, race, nationality, ethnic, social and indigenous origin, religion or belief, disability, age or sexual orientation or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
NOTE: Newmont does not ask for or require job applicants to pay money to apply or be considered for employment with the Company. In addition, Newmont does not ask potential job candidates to provide sensitive personal data without first submitting a job application through our secure, online portal, and only as requested for legitimate business purposes. If you are asked to provide money or sensitive personal data through any other means, do not respond and please report this immediately to email@example.com.
GET MORE INTERVIEWS WITH SOBIAONLINE. CHOOSE FROM THE PACKAGES BELOW
How to ApplyCLICK ME TO APPLY
35 total views, 5 today