Special Projects Intern
2020 – 2021 RED RIVER FOODS MANAGEMENT TRAINING PROGRAM
CALL FOR SPECIAL PROJECTS INTERN APPLICATIONS
Headquartered in Richmond, Virginia, Red River Foods is a leading US supplier of dried fruit and nuts with a large global footprint. Our mission is to source the highest quality foods, provide expert market insight, and develop sustainable supply chains around the world. Red River Foods is vertically integrated within the cashew value chain with subsidiaries in multiple African countries and several processing facilities in Southeast Asia.
RED RIVER FOODS OPERATIONS IN AFRICA
Red River Foods has offices in Ghana (Sunyani) and Ivory Coast (Abidjan and Bouaké) as well as representation in Benin and Tanzania. RRF’s primary operations in Ghana and Ivory Coast center around raw cashew purchase and export as well as cashew kernel purchase and export. In addition to procuring directly from cashew farmers and exporting the traceable raw cashew, both RRF Ghana and RRF IVC have developed and continue to develop sustainability programs – such as trainings on post-harvest handling, recordkeeping, pruning and thinning, beekeeping and business literacy.
The RRF Ghana and RRF Ivory Coast Offices are seeking to hire a Special Projects Intern (SPI) for a one-year contract to participate in both the seasonal raw cashew procurement activities as well as the off-season sustainability programs. Procurement activities run from January to June, while sustainability programs are implemented July to December. The SPI may be offered a full-time position with benefits after successful completion of the Internship Program.
Candidates with experience working in agribusiness and West Africa are encouraged to apply. French-speakers, West Africans, Returned Peace Corps Volunteers, and individuals with project management and/or an Accounting background (academic or professional) are especially encouraged to apply.
Start Date: Q4 2020
Locations: Split time between the Ghana office and the Ivory Coast offices such that the SPI is able to experience and appreciate the procurement season as well as the off-season activities in both countries.
SPI GOALS AND EXPECTATIONS
The SPI will be responsible for the following as well as other activities to be determined throughout the Internship:
• Data Analysis, Monitoring and Evaluation
o Develop new metrics and monitor existing metrics for both raw cashew procurement as well as sustainability programs
o Generate reports, analyze and evaluate the gathered metrics in order to make conclusions and proposals
o During the off-season (months outside the cashew harvesting season) from the months of June – December, both RRF Ghana and RRF IVC are analysing data
from the procurement season and using this data to plan for the next procurement season.
▪ Example : RRF Ghana is administering a matching fund grant by a major development organization; M&E work in the field will be required as well as report generation.
▪ Example : RRF IVC is tracking purchases/exports via mobile app; procurement strategies will be based on analysis of the previous season(s) data
• Streamlining and Standardizing Processes
o Red River is looking to continue to digitize and automate processes and procedures. In a low-resource environment, this can be difficult.
▪ Identify and map out processes as well as analyze existing workstreams and propose new workstreams to improve and grow Red River’s operations
▪ Create Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) for existing processes and newly identified drivers and subsequent processes
• Ad-hoc Projects & Partnerships
o RRF is approached by government agencies, development organizations, and other stakeholders along the cashew value chain globally. We are always looking for ways to improve economic conditions for all stakeholders with the goal of providing the highest quality products to our customers.
o Collect content for RRF social media while in the field (photos, blog posts, etc)
• Excellent time management skills and ability to multi-task and prioritize work
• Creativity and ability to identify areas for improvement and propose solutions
• Attention to detail and problem-solving skills; no task is too big or too small for you
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English, French is desired as well
• Excellent command of Microsoft Office products, desire or knowledge to learn more advanced data analysis tools (Python, SQL, R, Stata, SPSS, etc.)
• Desire to network and help foster new relationships with supply/value chain stakeholders
• Ability to work in a low-resource environment and deliver desired results
Compensation: Stipend + Full Benefits Package
To Apply: Please send an email with a brief introductory paragraph and your CV attached to Wayne Tilton email@example.com