Soil Fertility Expert Consultant
The International Fertilizer Development Center (IFDC) is a public international organization (PIO) governed by an international board of directors with representation from developed and developing nations. The non-profit center focuses on increasing and sustaining food and agricultural productivity in developing countries through the development and transfer of effective and environmentally sound crop nutrient technology and agribusiness expertise.
IFDC’s North and West Africa (NWAF) operates through 7 country offices and has 117 staff members in 9 countries. The country offices are managed by Country Representatives who supervise National Administration and Finance Officers. Activities are implemented divided over 18 multi-annual projects which are coordinated by Project Coordinators / Chief of Parties.
IFDC NWAFD is seeking a Soil Fertility Expert Consultant with strong expertise in soil fertility management, the economics of fertilizer, fertilizer policy and regulations, and/or fertilizer market systems to closely work with the Regional Director to support resource mobilization efforts and provide technical backing to a portfolio of a number field projects of up to an accumulated amount of $ 15 million annual turnover.
The Soil Fertility Expert Consultant:
- Has strong competence in one or more technical specialty areas common to field projects (soil fertility management, fertilizer policy and regulations, fertilizer market systems) in the Region and provides technical assistance to field projects as requested;
- Supports and actively participates in new project development activities;
- Participates in project design and evaluation of projects within or added to the managed portfolio
- Participates in the development of concept notes and proposals
- Establishes and cultivates relations with relevant institutions and individuals, including project specific donors, grantees, and public or private sector partners ;
- Communicates regularly with Chiefs of Party/Project Leaders to ensure they receive the required corporate support and adequately fulfill their project implementation responsibilities, while adhering to contractual obligations and donor requirements, as well as policies and procedures internal to IFDC ;
- Monitors activities and financial flows of projects to assist Chiefs of Party/Project Leaders in maintaining on-time and on-budget performance ;
- Supports project teams in the development of key deliverables, such as technical progress reports, work plans, budgets, performance monitoring plans, etc. ;
- Reviews key project deliverables before donor submission;
- Supports field projects in the recruiting and procurement of technical assistance
- Assists in recruitment of staff and populate the corporate database of consultants and potential staff candidates ;
- Regularly briefs the Regional Director on the status of projects in the portfolio ;
- Assumes any other duties as assigned by the Regional Director;
The Soil Fertility Expert Consultant reports directly to the Regional Director.
Women candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Technical experience in one or several areas related to soil fertility: soil fertility management, fertilizer policy and regulations, fertilizer market systems.
- Knowledge of budgeting, accounting, project monitoring & evaluation, human resources procedures and principles, procurement and contracting, as well as relevant international donor regulations;
- Ability to successfully perform multiple tasks;
- Ability and willingness to travel frequently in the region;
- High level of initiative and enthusiasm, adaptability and flexibility.
- Excellent oral, written and inter personal and communication skills in English and French
- At least a Master’s Degree in agricultural economics, agribusiness, soil science or agronomy with a minimum of 5 years relevant working experience;
- Minimum of 3 years of relevant experience in Africa;
- Proven and extensive project and program management experiences, preferably in a public-private partnership setting in Africa;
- Proven successful experience in project development and acquisition;
- Network of relevant donors, organizations and private sector partners in West Africa
To apply for this job please visit jobs.silkroad.com.