Skills Hub Intern
Job Title: Skills Hub Intern
No. of Positions One
Sector: Programme Administration
Employment Category: Fixed Term
Employment Type: Full-Time
Contract Duration: 3-6 months
Open to Expatriates: No
Reports to: Skills Hub Curator
Start Date: 1st December 2020
Location: Accra, Ghana
Youth Empowerment Synergy (YES-Ghana) is an ECOSOC-accredited NGO at the forefront of youth development policy, practice and research in Ghana. For more than 15 years, we have provided tailored skills training for youth, leading to improvements in their leadership, financial literacy, entrepreneurship and life planning skills. Through our service delivery, we have provided education, skills training, and technical support to thousands of youth and helped them transition to self and wage employment. Our research has contributed to filling the gap in youth data and the evidence base for public policy. And, we continue to use our national appeal and grassroots constituency, through our Voices of Youth Coalition, to advocate and campaign for youth-inclusive policies at all levels. We are entering an exciting phase of growth at YES-Ghana and are looking for new people to help take us forward.
Purpose of the role:
As a Skills Hub Intern, you will become part of a strong team of motivators who view innovation and skills building as a way to unlock the ideas of young people through youth-centred design, and creating the right conditions for innovation to flourish.
You will learn, develop and build your administrative and operational skills as you support the delivery of wide-ranging Hub activities including events, training, and front desk management.
Your human relations and communication skills will be honed as you execute Hub services to the highest quality standards. If you are passionate about youth innovation, believe in the potential of social innovation, and enjoy working in a fast-paced and creative organisation, then we would love to hear from you.
• Work with the Skills Hub Assistant to serve as the first point of contact at the Hub and in maintaining a web-based attendance register; welcome and register guests, as well as facilitate ‘lightning’ orientation sessions for young people accessing Hub services, ensuring that they are aware of all policies and procedures they need to adhere to
• Support in coordinating front-desk activities, including distributing correspondence and redirecting phone calls; anticipate and handle any guest requests and satisfy their needs within acceptable guideline
• Support implementation of logistics arrangements for all meetings and training sessions, including setting up meeting rooms and equipment, as well as getting training materials and documentation ready in advance
• Support the management of Hub stationery and supplies; support the maintenance of an updated in-out inventory of all stationery and supplies; work with the team to ensure that stationery and supplies are ordered in a timely manner in liaison with the wider Hub team
• Support the management of Hub library, including maintaining an extensive record of all books and materials, as well as a system for tracking movement of books by guests
• Support the smooth running of Hub services and programmes; together with the wider Hub team, monitor guest activities and ensure strict adherence to policies and procedures especially in regards to usage of Hub library, computers and internet services; troubleshoot and resolve basic guest issues and escalate complex issues to the appropriate team member
• Assist in the delivery of a range of entrepreneurship, innovation and skills building services at the Hub to ensure a positive experience for all young people and partner organisations that access the services
• Assist with managing the Hub scheduling system for training sessions, facility bookings, and other services, ensuring the timetable runs smoothly
• Undertake the necessary checks to ensure safeguarding compliance of young people who are accessing Hub services; respond swiftly to issues and have a proactive problem-solving approach and feedback loop so that young people accessing Hub services can see what resolution or changes have been put in place
• Current or recent student
• Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite
• Professional attitude, pleasant personality and appearance
• Written and verbal communication skills
• Ability to be resourceful and proactive when issues arise; dependability; attention to detail
• The ability to engage young people and seek feedback
• Fluency in English required, alongside Twi, Ga and/or Ewe
How To Apply For The Job
Please submit a one-page motivation letter and an updated CV to:
Please use Skills Hub Intern as the subject line of your email. Be sure to highlight in the motivation letter how specifically you meet the qualifications, skills and experience requirements for this role. Due to capacity constraints, only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.
Closing Date: 31 October, 2020
YES-Ghana is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages all candidates, irrespective of gender, nationality, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of the organisation.
YES-Ghana has a zero-tolerance policy on conduct that is incompatible with the aims and objectives of the organisation, including sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and processes, and discrimination. YES-Ghana also adheres to strict child safeguarding principles. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks, and will be expected to adhere to these standards and principles.