Safisana is a pioneering enterprise which converts human and organic waste, collected from improved public toilets and organic waste sources (e.g. markets, abattoirs, agri/agro-industries), into added value products: electricity (sold to utilities or industries via a Power Purchase Agreement), irrigation water and high nutrient soil enhancer (sold to local farmers to increase agricultural yields).
Safisana’s ambition is to integrate the reuse of waste treatment for agricultural purposes which is a model that is currently being developed and tested at the Ashaiman plant with the aim to develop and apply it in other regions of Ghana and outside.
What kind of job is it?
The Senior Agronomist will be responsible will be responsible for Safisana’s agronomy business unit that is primarily responsible for vegetables production (open field and green house) and compost sales. As head of the business unit, the Senior Agronomist also leads on innovation and supports business development around waste re-use and food production systems which is the core of Safisana operations.
What are we looking for?
The ideal candidate has a sound knowledge of agronomy and the agricultural sector. In this position the incumbent is expected to look at how to improve Safisana’s agricultural production and processing capabilities, provide leadership with the cultivation of vegetables for the food industry and general public (in open fields, greenhouses and hydroponic systems), help define planting plans, select irrigation techniques and plan harvests.
As Safisana is exploring to establish an integrated farm field model and investigating innovative methods on how to develop this further, we are looking for a Senior Agronomist who is able to lead on these research projects including the fortification of Safisana’s organic fertilizer.
The Sales Agronomist is expected to perform duties in the following three (3) areas with key activities involving:
- Sales and Marketing of compost and vegetable crops:
- Prepare a comprehensive sales and marketing plan that outlines all the strategies that are critical for product distribution (e.g. compost, seedlings, crops)
- Be pro-active and make sales calls throughout the region to determine agronomy needs, create solutions and build long term relationships with customers that will generate sales of compost and crops;
- Conduct product demonstrations with prospective clients
- Attend and represent the Safisana product in relevant agri fairs and agri related programmess.
- Commercial vegetable crop production (greenhouse, open field and hydroponics)
- Create strategies in strengthening crop production and crop management
- Be responsible for the day to day management of crop production and harvesting including the planning, logging and reporting.
- Initiate newer techniques in soil and organic fertilizer management processes
- Supervise, coach and monitor the implementation of demonstration plots and (cocoa) nurseries
- Research and development
- Conduct research and field checks as agreed by Safisana management, take samples and make observations, perform tests and identify and solve problems related to plant or soil nutrition.
- Initiate and lead in research projects to optimize sustainable crop production with the use of organic fertilizer and irrigation water from the Safisana production plant.
Required Skills or Experience
- BSc in Agronomy, Agriculture, Soil Science or related field
- Certificates in Project Management and planning
- Minimum of 8 years of agronomy work experience
- A minimum of 5 years’ experience in an Agricultural sales role
- Demonstrated responsibility of sales role in Agro input materials with a minimum annual turnover of GHS 250,000
- In-depth knowledge of soil and crop principles
- Knowledge of/ability to use laboratory testing equipment (for chemical, physical and biological tests)
- Experience and familiarity with the COCOBOD certification process for organic fertilizer
- Liaise and attend meetings with other company functions necessary to perform duties and aid business and organizational development
- Experience in selling compost, crops or seedlings.
- Proficient computer skills – Microsoft Office software, email, internet, spread sheets
- Perform any other duties as assigned by the supervisor
- Demonstrated leadership experience in agriculture or a combination of education and work experience
- Excellent interpersonal, communication, planning, problem solving, and organizational skills
- Strong project and planning management capability
- Demonstrate skills in sales
- Knowledge of agri-food chain processes
- Experience in working with cocoa farmers
- Energetic/driven who can independently manage projects
- Car driving experience with a valid license-car to be provided
- Able to work additional hours to meet business demands.
How To Apply
Are you interested in becoming part of a pioneering and innovative working environment?
Apply now by completing the application form on our website http://www.safisana.org/jobs/
ONLY APPLICATIONS THROUGH THE SAFISANA WEBSITE WILL BE CONSIDERED!!!
This opportunity expires on 29th of October 2020