Vision for a Nation (VFAN)
Regional Coordinator – Upper East (24 months fixed term) with potential for extension
Location: VFAN Office Bolgatanga, Upper East Region, Ghana
Reports To: Programmes Manager – Ghana
Salary and Benefits: Competitive salary commensurate with experience.
II. Organizational Context
Vision for a Nation (VFAN) is a multi-award-winning UK charity. We are helping people to fully contribute socially and economically to their communities by ensuring they have access to basic eye care services.
Over the last 5 years with the support of our founder, philanthropist James Chen, together with funding from DFID, USAID and UBS Optimus Foundation we have transformed eye care in Rwanda and in 2018 started up programmes in Ghana.
We need great people to help us on this journey and we’re looking for an excellent person that has the experience, gravitas and flair to build and maintain relationships with partners to enable us to implement our projects in the region.
We are looking for a highly motivated individual, a self-starter that loves working in development and is genuinely interested in ensuring all Ghanaians can access affordable, quality eye care services.
We are looking for someone that has great skill in coordinating programme activities and is adaptable to change within a growing organisation and willing to develop with the organisation. We need our people to be self-starters, innovators and able to get on and work with people from many cultures and backgrounds.
The successful candidate must have the legal right to live and work in Ghana indefinitely.
To learn more about us visit our website at www.visionforanation.net
III. Job Purpose
The purpose of the Regional Coordinator is to facilitate the implementation of VFAN activities in districts of the Upper East Region. The role will report to VFAN’s Programme Manager in Ghana, based in Accra and will work in collaboration with Team Leads in the Accra Office.
The role will be based in the Upper East Region with significant travels to the Bongo, Nabdam and Talensi districts, and some travel to Accra.
IV. Functions / Key Responsibilities
Plan and Manage:
- The development of implementation plans for the Upper East Region
- The implementation of project activities in Upper East
- Co-ordination with Team Leads based in Accra to ensure implementation of project activities to time and budget
- Supervision of VFAN staff in the region
- Stakeholder engagement. Develop good working relationships with key stakeholders to support the achievement of VFAN objectives in Upper East Region including (but not limited to) :
- Ghana Health Service – regional health management team (RHMT); district health management teams (DHMTs)
- Ghana Education Service – Regional and District Directorates
- Co-ordination with other NGO’s in the region including (but not limited to) attending existing working/co-ordination groups and establishing new groups as appropriate
Support and contribute to:
- Ensuring adherence to financial and administrative policy and processes
- Representing VFAN in external meetings including with key stakeholders, workshops, conferences including preparing and delivering presentations
- Providing technical and administrative support to the GHS and GES to implement project activities in the region
- Prioritising the integration of PEC into the primary health care system at the community level in the intervention districts
Monitor and report:
- Monitor the implementation of project activities in the region
- Monitor issues and risks relating to implementation in the region, proactively inform the wider team of risks and issues that may impact on delivering to time and budget and provide proactive recommendation for resolution in conjunction with the Programme Manager
- Complete regular detailed status reporting to the Programme Manager and other stakeholders
- Complete detailed documentation – including (but not limited to) approach, processes, materials, implementation plan, internal learning reviews etc for UE
- Complete programme administration including maintaining accurate records, both electronically and hard copy
- Support the Finance & Administration Officer and the Team Leads to complete detailed logistics to enable project activities to take place according to plan and budget
- Carry out other reasonable duties assigned by the Programme Manager from time to time
- Support all team members with programme activities as and when required, to support wider VFAN objectives.
- Excellent verbal and written communication including written and spoken fluency in at least one local language of the operational districts
- Previous experience working in the field of health projects
- Familiarity and experience working with NGOs and CSOs in Ghana
- Good interpersonal communication and presentation skills
- Willingness to work in hard-to-reach areas, with frequent field visits as necessary
- Self-starter who is confident, assertive and comfortable working with a high level of autonomy
- Excellent organisational and planning skills
- Excellent attention to detail
- Ability to manage a wide, varied and changing workload, to prioritise effectively, and deliver to deadlines
- Strong team player with the ability to quickly establish and build effective working relationships with people at all levels, from different organisations, communities and backgrounds
- Flexible and mature outlook with the ability to adapt to a rapidly changing organisation
- Pro-active approach to identifying and resolving problems
- Strong sense of ownership for quality of work, deliverables and service
- Comfortable working in a small team and within a small, dynamic organisation
- Willingness to travel in Ghana, undertake periods of work outside VFAN office(s)
- Computer literate; proficient user of MS Office programmes including Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
VI. Qualifications and experience
Educated to degree level preferably in social sciences, development, public health or similar (MSc or MPH in health-related programme will be an advantage)
- Experience of working in the international development sector – 2-3 years minimum
- Experience of working in development in the health sector, with good knowledge of the GHS gained through working in or alongside GHS in any capacity (at least 1-2 years)
- A good understanding of current priorities, challenges and issues within the health sector
- Experience (gained in any sector) in:
- Managing/supervising people and/or teams
- Implementing successful projects
- Proven ability to develop and manage good stakeholder relationships with a broad range of stakeholders
- Proven experience in report writing to a high standard
- Results oriented focus – proven experience of working with, and delivering to metrics and targets
- Experience working in or with the GHS & GES
Experience of working in an international NGO in public health/eye health sector
Fluency in spoken and written English and at least one local language of the operational districts: Gurune; Talen or Nabt
This role will involve significant domestic travel within Ghana
How to Apply
To apply please send your CV (maximum of 3 sides of A4) and a covering letter (maximum 2 sides of A4) outlining why you are interested in this role and how your experience meets the requirements to email@example.com by 17:00 Ghana time Friday 03 January 2020. Following review of applications selected candidates will be invited for interview in our Accra office. We hope to hold first round interviews 20th -24th January 2020 and second round interviews 27th – 31st January 2020 (these dates are indicative and may change dependent on the availability of interviewers). The role is available in February 2020 and the start date is flexible.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org