Public Health Emergency – Epidemiologist
Following the report of an outbreak of the novel corona virus (COVID-19) in China in December 2019, there has been rapid spread resulting in WHO declaring the COVID-19 outbreak a public health emergency of international concern. Consequently, all countries have been urged to strengthen systems for preparedness to ensure early detection, containment and appropriate response to limit catastrophic consequences.
More than ever, support from the WHO Country Office (WCO) in Ghana and partners is needed to assist the Ministry of Health/Ghana Health Service (MOH/GHS) to strengthen capacity in-country to early detect, contain and respond to the confirmation of a case of COVID-19. WHO technical support is needed in multiple areas including surveillance and case management necessitating the need for additional staff.
To be able to cope with this demand, Ghana WCO is seeking to recruit an epidemiologist on a short term basis to boost the support of the WHO public health emergency team to strengthen the country’s capacity in preparedness, response and control activities. The epidemiologist will be attached to the Public Health Emergency team in the WHO country office for Ghana.
Scope of work
• Provide technical support in the development and adaptation of relevant plans and guidelines on COVID-19 preparedness and response;
▪ Support COVID-19 capacity building and simulation exercises for surveillance, laboratory, early diagnosis, case management, infection prevention and control;
▪ Provide relevant technical input for effective risk communication, public information and education.
• Support country efforts in CPVID-19 preparedness and response, working in close collaboration with the Ministry of Health, various national stakeholders and other partners;
• Support monitoring, evaluation and reporting of COVID-19 preparedness and response activities
• Carry out any other activities as assigned by the WHO Country Representative
Duty Station: Accra
The position requires an epidemiologist with the following:
▪ Hold a degree in medicine or relevant health field obtained from a recognized University with at least Master’s Degree in public health / community health / epidemiology
▪ Have at least 5 years’ experience in the field of disease surveillance and epidemiology in Ghana;
▪ Have a track record of working successfully in similar position as outlined in the scope of work
▪ Have skills in basic data management and analytical software programmes
Duration of Assignment
The estimated duration of the temporary recruitment is at least 6 months with the possibility of extension depending on the evolution of the outbreak and the availability of funds
1. Moving forward in a changing environment
2. Producing results
3. Fostering integration and team work
4. Building and promoting partnerships across the Organization and beyond
Don’t Keep! Share: