Kempinski Hotel Gold Coast City – Accra is the only five-star luxury hotel offering state of the art meeting facilities and services in the city.
Conveniently located in the downtown area and in close proximity to the State House, the Accra International Conference Centre and the National Theatre.
The property has 269 luxury rooms (largest room size in Accra), 24 suites, a variety of F&B offerings as well as large conference facilities and the largest SPA in West Africa (opening soon), a perfect mix of categories to meet the needs of both corporate and conference visitors to the country.
The overall scope of the Pastry Chef role is to plan, organize, control and direct the work of employees responsible for the preparation and presentation of a broad array of cakes, pastries, desserts, petits fours and breads which meet customer expectations.
- Assist the Executive Chef in the supervision of all employees in the Pastry/Bakery kitchen.
- Assist the Executive Chef in establishing culinary standards specific for Pastry/Bakery which meets the need of the target market.
- Develop and maintain up-dated operations manuals for all Food Production and Stewarding sections and in making recipes and maintain up-dated and accurate costing of all dishes prepared and sold in the Food and Beverage operation.
- Inspect daily, all fresh food received to ensure a high quality is maintained.
- Inspect several times daily all food stores and refrigerated areas and suggest, where necessary, correct storage methods to comply with Health & Safety regulations, to avoid spoilage and ensure regular turnover of food items and give completed check lists to the Executive Chef.
- Check on a daily basis food preparation, individual costs, quality, quantity inventories and portion control.
- Liaise with the Chief Steward in order to ensure high standards of cleanliness are maintained in all areas of the Pastry/Bakery kitchen, such as machinery and small kitchen equipment.
- Plan the duty rosters on weekly basis.
- Ensure the proper purchasing request, store requisitioning and controlling of supplies.
- Work with Executive Chef and Director of Human Resource to ensure the departmental performance of staff is productive and assist in planning for future staffing needs.
- Ensure training needs analysis of Kitchen staff is carried out and training programs are designed and implemented to meet needs.
- Provide input for probation and formal performance appraisal discussions in line with company guidelines.
- Coach, counsel and discipline staff, provide constructive feedback to enhance performance.
- Work with Executive Chef in the preparation and management of the department’s budget.
- Demonstrate Awareness of OH&S policies and procedures and ensure all procedures are conducted safely and within OH&S guideline.
- Maintain a hygienic kitchen and personal hygiene.
- Be aware of duty of care and adhere to occupational, health and safety legislation, policies and procedures.
- Be familiar with property safety, first aid and fire and emergency procedures and operate equipment safely and sensibly.
- Initiate action to correct a hazardous situation and notify supervisors of potential dangers.
- Log security incidents and accidents in accordance with hotel requirements.
- Implement and practice HACCP.
Additional responsibilities and tasks can be added at any time according to the needs of the business and of the hotel.
Desired Skills and Qualifications
- Gastronomic education certificate or equivalent (apprenticeship/diploma/BA/Bsc)
- Must show signs of career development
- HACCP certification
- Minimum 3 years kitchen experience
- Minimum 1 years in a pastry kitchen role, preferably with a 5* Hotel chain
- Experience in the retail sector is beneficial
- International experience preferred
English – excellent oral and written skills
Additional language – beneficial
Ability to work as part of a team, thrive under pressure in challenging circumstances and come up with proactive, rational solutions.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to establish and retain effective working relationships with hotel staff and clients/vendors.
- Ability to identify and delegate tasks effectively.
Excellent organizational and time management skills.
- Applies a professional, confidential and ethical approach at all times.
- Works in a safe, prudent and organized manner.
- Knowledgeable of food safety regulations.
- Computer literacy adapted to the field of training:
- Ability to operate computer and office equipment.
- Proficiency in Excel and Word.
- Passionate for Food & Beverage
- People Oriented
- Passionate for European luxury
- Business Acumen
- Sense of responsibility
- Team player
- Analytical thinker
- Flexible and reliable
- Tolerant and open minded
- Works well under pressure
Hoteliers since 1897, we have travelled the world in search of the most fascinating destinations without ever forgetting the finest traditions of our European heritage.
We are dedicated to please, educated to entertain, and we never compromise on the European elegance of service. We pride ourselves on delivering a beautiful performance for each and every one of our guests.
And for our employees, we provide a stage on which they can flourish and realise their full potential.
Embrace an experience as individual as you are!
Please login to your account to bookmark this entry.
Apply For job
To apply for this job please visit kempinski.taleo.net.