Objective A Lead
Palladium is a global leader in the design, development and delivery of Positive Impact – the intentional creation of enduring social and economic value.
We work with foundations, investors, governments, corporations, communities and civil society to formulate strategies and implement solutions that generate lasting social, environmental and financial benefits.
For the past 50 years, we have been making Positive Impact possible. With a team of more than 2,500 employees operating in 90 plus countries and a global network of more than 35,000 technical experts, Palladium has improved – and is committed to continuing to improve – economies, societies and most importantly, people’s lives.
Palladium is a child-safe organisation, and screens applicants for suitability to work with children. We also provide equal employment to all participants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, gender, age, disability, sexual orientation, veteran or marital status.
Project Overview and Role:
The Trade and Investment Activity will improve the enabling environment for Ghana’s economic growth, including, but not limited to: i) facilitating growth in export-oriented trade, ii) improving and developing quality production standards, iii) catalyzing investments in private enterprises operating in the high-value commercial crops; iv) promoting job creation, particularly among women and youth; v) promoting economic diversification; and vi) increasing foreign exchange revenues from high-value export crops. The Trade and Investment Activity will facilitate investing in firms that trade goods across borders, spur innovation, and build the capacity of the entire trade sector. This activity will use a systems approach to address: i) investment promotion and facilitation; ii) trade facilitation; and iii) small and medium enterprise (SME) development.
Purpose of Position
The Objective A lead will work with businesses to improve quality and diversity of goods and services and work with farmers to adopt improved agronomic practices. This role will work closely with public and private sectors to ensure that quality standards in domestic value chains are improved and enforced. The Objective A Lead will report to the Chief of Party (COP) of the project. S/He will oversee Objective A activities and staff, ensuring compliance and delivery of results.
Duration: 5 years
Location: Accra, Ghana
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
- Help improve SPS measures in Ghana to facilitate market access, working closely with GOG
- Develop and implement public and private traceability systems for fruit, vegetables, and other agricultural products to trace origin throughout supply chain, isolate threats, and recall contaminated products as needed
- Improve local certification standards for plant safety, sanitary, and phytosanitary qualities, aligned with international standards, established with the private sector and improve market access for high-value export commodities
- Work closely with Ghanaian farmers and processors to improve capacity to meet market requirements for a diverse set of marketing channels (local, national, and export)
- Strengthen enforcement system to effectively administer and ensure compliance with GOG food safety standards and regulations
- Lead Objective A work planning and implementation to ensure program meets targets
- Provide necessary input for Objective A-related monitoring, evaluation, and learning; gender and social inclusion strategy; communication; and budgets
- Any other tasks requested by the Chief of Party
- Advanced degree in Economics, Business Administration, Agricultural economics, or other related field
- Minimum of four years’ experience in private sector and SME development, enabling environment, and trade
- Excellent interpersonal and leadership skills
- Proven experience with programs promoting standards, SME development, and private sector development projects, in Sub-Saharan Africa
- Working proficiency in English required.
- Proven experience in project management including donor-funded projects for economic growth, USAID experience a plus