Investment Advisor Job Description
The UK-Africa Investment Summit on 20 January 2020 laid the foundations for new partnerships between the UK and African nations based on trade, investment, shared values and mutual interest.
The UK also announced new initiatives and funding which will: strengthen the joint trading relationship, support African countries in their ambition to transform their economies, launch a major new partnership with the city of London, turbo-charge infrastructure financing, and enable Africa’s clean energy potential.
Taken together, this will help to realise the UK’s ambition to be the investment partner of choice for Africa. Supporting post COVID-19 economic recovery will be one of the key areas of focus for the UK in Ghana over the next few years, and supporting investment activity will be critical to this.
The Investment Advisor will join the Department for International Trade’s Africa network, providing crucial leadership and expertise as part of our expansion.
You will be networked closely with colleagues from across HMG working on prosperity issues as DIT can only successfully deliver our commercial ambitions by working seamlessly as part of joint and coordinated prosperity teams alongside the Department for International Development (DFID) and the Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO).
This is an exciting time to join DIT Africa, as we expand our resources and ambition to deliver the objectives contained within the DIT Africa Regional Trade Plan.
The UK is committed to being the partner of choice for investment in Ghana by harnessing both government and private-sector led investment and financing opportunities. HMG is working closely with the Government of Ghana to increase ODI, support job creation and Ghana’s ambitious ‘Ghana Beyond Aid’ agenda.
The UK-Africa Investment Summit has created a significant amount of momentum to drive this work, and the UK-Ghana Business Council will continue to support it.
This is an exciting opportunity to lead an important and ever-expanding area of DIT Ghana’s work.
What will the Investment Advisor be expected to achieve?:
This is a new role and the post holder will lead on DIT’s ODI, investment and project financing work in Ghana, supporting the UK’s ambition to become Ghana’s investor of choice and significantly increase UK investment stock in Ghana.
Protecting the interests of UK investors, and supporting greater levels of investment to support post-COVID-19 recovery will be central to this role.
We are looking for someone with credible experience in attracting and structuring investments. The role will be cross-sector but with a particular focus on the UK-Ghana Business Council’s six sectors of choice.
The post holder will work closely with DFID, FCO and DIT’s Africa Director for Investment to develop a clear UK offer and a pipeline of bankable projects, resulting in a 5% year on year increase of UK investment in Ghana. The role will focus on:
- Developing and leading the execution of a cross-government UK-Ghana investment strategy, with a strong focus on post COVID-19 recovery;
- Working with UK government colleagues and the UK private sector in both London and Ghana to ensure a coherent UK investment offer is developed and communicated effectively;
- Developing and supporting to execution a pipeline of investable projects;
- Develop and maintain a network of key UK investors, including supporting the Africa Investors Group and establishing a Ghana-focused UK investors group;
- Working to develop project financing options for UK companies wishing to export to Ghana;
- Developing and potentially leading UK-led investment support programmes in Ghana.
Essential Qualifications, Skills and Experience of the Investment Advisor
- 3+ years experience of structuring and facilitating investments in either the private or public sector, ideally on an international basis;
- Strong understanding of project finance options, including public-private partnerships;
- Strong oral and written English communication skills;
- Relevant work experience, a track record of delivery through collaboration and partnering in complex environments;
- Ability to work well under pressure and to tight deadlines;
- Resourcefulness in solving problems;
- Good interpersonal skills and comfortable dealing with senior officials and business people.
Desirable Qualifications, Skills and Experience
Private sector banking experience;
Experience working with, or understanding of, green financing options;
Experience of managing ODA programmes.
Leading and Communicating, Collaborating and Partnering, Achieving Commercial Outcomes, Managing a Quality Service
The successful applicant will have access to a range of Learning and Development opportunities with in-house and e-learning, with the potential for overseas training. From time to time there will be requirements to assist other teams within the Department, building overall resilience and broader experience.
- This role is Accra based and reports to the Country Director for the UK Department for International Trade in Ghana, also based in Accra.
- There will be travel requirements and opportunities both within Accra and Ghana more widely.
- All applicants must be legally able to work in Ghana with the correct visa/status or work permit.
- Staff members recruited locally by the British High Commission in Accra are subject to Terms and Conditions of Service according to local Ghana employment law.
- Spouses/registered partners of UK Based Staff, are able to work within the British High Commission but their salary will be abated at the appropriate tax rates.
- Reference checking and security clearances will be conducted.
- Please note start date will be subject to the office reopening.
This role is subject to change, removal or amendment from advert at short notice.
Please login to your account to bookmark this entry.
Apply For job
To apply for this job please visit fco.tal.net.