Health Systems Strengthening Consultant(s)
Job Description for Health Systems Strengthening Consultant(s)
Health Systems Strengthening Consultant(s): Ghana STATEMENT OF WORK I. Background and opportunity
The HSS Accelerator is a five-year initiative funded by USAID and the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation that aims to strengthen institutions and processes and build local expertise, to ensure that health systems can tackle future challenges and weather shocks with less reliance on external support.
The HSS Accelerator is applying a potentially paradigm-changing approach to support countries on their journey to self-reliance. And, to ultimately ensure that health systems work for the people and communities who need them.
The HSS Accelerator is led by Results for Development (R4D) with support from the Health Strategy and Delivery Foundation (HSDF, headquartered in Nigeria), and ICF.
Activities in Ghana:
Over the next four years, the HSS Accelerator will work with Ghanaian health stakeholders on activities to support the development of a self-reliant health system to advance Ghana’s vision for achieving universal health coverage (UHC). In June 2019, the HSS Accelerator embarked on a scoping exercise to explore opportunities for collaboration and is currently working with Ghanaian health stakeholders to define a longer-term scope of work. The HSS Accelerator is looking for a local consultant(s) with expertise in health systems strengthening and/or health financing, as well as experience facilitating country-led processes, to support the implementation of activities in Ghana.
II. Consultant Role and Scope of Services
The consultant(s) will serve as a resource person that the HSS Accelerator can call on to support its country partners, as needed. The consultant(s) will be expected to work collaboratively alongside the HSS Accelerator team and Ghanaian stakeholders on activities that will be further specified as needs arise. The consultant(s) will lend his/her expertise and understanding of the local context to:
· Provide facilitation support to multi-stakeholder processes to advance Ghana’s UHC objectives.
· Work alongside and capacitate health actors to generate, analyze, and use data for ongoing health systems improvement.
· Provide technical support on priority health systems strengthening and/or health financing needs around UHC implementation.
The consultant(s) will be expected to participate in regular meetings with the HSS Accelerator team. In addition, the consultant(s) will be expected to participate in and provide feedback on a series of virtual orientation modules, which will familiarize the consultant(s) with the HSS Accelerator’s approaches.
III. Qualifications of Health Systems Strengthening Consultant(s)
The ideal candidate(s) will be Ghanaian national(s) with the following qualifications:
- Master’s or doctoral degree in a relevant field (public health, health economics, public policy or similar)
- 8+ years of relevant professional experience on issues related to health financing and/or health systems strengthening in Ghana.
- Demonstrated track record of working with government health agencies and other key health stakeholders in Ghana.
- Experience conducting quantitative and/or qualitative research on health systems strengthening and/or health financing issues.
- Experience providing process facilitation support on issues related to health systems strengthening and/or health financing.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including demonstrated ability to: effectively facilitate high-level meetings; prepare clear and concise emails, presentations and reports.
- High level of organization, attention to detail, professionalism, proactivity, and reliability.
- High level of Microsoft Office proficiency, including Excel, PowerPoint and Word.
- Fluency in oral and written English.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Enthusiasm, energy, and good judgement.
Interested applicants should submit their CV, along with their daily rate and average availability per week (in terms of number of days) over the next 6-12 months. Applicants should also fill out this short survey.
Please send your application materials to Denise Bonsu: firstname.lastname@example.org
About the Organization
Results for Development (R4D) is a leading non-profit global development partner. We collaborate with change agents around the world — government officials, civil society leaders and social innovators — to create strong systems that support healthy, educated people. We help our partners move from knowing their goal to knowing how to reach it. We combine global expertise in health, education and nutrition with analytic rigor, practical support for decision-making and implementation and access to peer problem-solving networks. Together with our partners, we build self-sustaining systems that serve everyone and deliver lasting results. Then we share what we learn so others can achieve results for development, too.
We have a unique and vibrant culture at R4D. Diversity, equity and inclusion are at the heart of our work environment and help advance our mission. Diversity—of ideas, identities, perspectives and backgrounds—is vital to who we are and what we do. We seek people who embrace these values and will help reinforce them. Our work culture is collaborative, creative and entrepreneurial. We operate based on trust and respect. Teams across the organization frequently collaborate on programmatic work and support each other in continuously building a better R4D.