Tony Blair Institute for Gloabal Change
About Tony Blair Institute for Global Change:
Strategically located with access to West Africa’s 350million population, Ghana is a peaceful country evident by democratic political stability over the last 20 years.
Investor confidence has grown in recent years following Standard & Poor’s rating of B with a stable outlook from B- with a negative outlook, first in over a decade achieved through strong monetary and fiscal policies.
The Government of Ghana has a vision of a ‘Ghana Beyond Aid’ through value addition of its natural resources. It has restored macro-economic stability and strong growth performance and has made a bold and public declaration to accelerate industrialization, particularly through vertically integrated value addition with Ghana’s agriculture products and rich deposits of mineral reserves, particularly gold, bauxite, iron ore, manganese and lithium.
This is in addition to a range of other investment opportunities in key national infrastructure, vehicle manufacture, pharmaceutical, garment, technology, petrochemical, retail, tourism, energy and Agro-processing industries.
The Ministry of Trade & Industry is tasked with delivering on this ambitious but achievable comprehensive program of Industrial transformation, under the “Industrialization for jobs and Growth Initiative” grouped under five key components:
- Building the competitiveness of existing Ghanaian Industries by injecting financial stimulus;
- Rolling out a major countrywide “One District One Factory” Initiative
- Development of Strategic Anchor Industries
- Establishment of Industrial Parks
- Enhancement of Domestic Retail Market Infrastructure
In support of this agenda, TBI is seeking a Trade & Investment Advisor to be based in the Ministry of Trade and Industry, working closely with the Minister, Deputy Ministers, Directors, and other key Stakeholders to implement economic priority initiatives. Specific duties include:
- Identify, engage and facilitate EU and British based companies to set up factories in Ghana purposely to manufacture goods and /or process Agro-Produce for export into the EU and UK Markets.
- Advise Trade Minister on policies and incentives to attract FDI into Ghana from the UK and EU market.
- Undertake socio-economic analysis of Ghana’s comparative advantages and investment opportunities in the agriculture, extractive and light manufacturing sectors, with a view to provide strategic advice and help develop/implement bankable projects.
- Support senior government counterparts in mapping, engaging and managing key stakeholders, including foreign and domestic investors, development partners and various government institutions.
- Undertake institutional and capacity assessments with a view to support government counterparts put in place effective and sustainable structures, systems and skills that will underpin the implementation of national priority investment projects.
- Identify, recommend and facilitate public/private partnerships and/or global development alliances that supports the Government of Ghana FDI development agenda.
- Contribute to TBI-Ghana fundraising and new business development.
- Maintain active dialogue with International donor community, private sector players, local organizations, GOG partners, building contacts to facilitate TBI programmes.
- Support the Country Head and other team members with quarterly and annual reporting; strategic and management programmes.
The Advisor will be a member of a new and evolving TBI team in Ghana.
The team consisting of experienced advisors providing embedded support at the Presidency and to key economic institutions of the government to attract and scale up private investment in priority sectors positioned to generate exports, jobs, and backward linkages.
The Advisor will benefit from network effects of the TBI Global team. He/she will also be a member of TBI’s Private Sector Development practice, through which they will gain from and contribute to the expertise of TBI’s teams across Africa and beyond.
We are looking for outstanding individuals with a proven track record of leadership and delivery in the public or private sectors. We seek to create international and multi-disciplinary teams and are looking for individuals with a background in: public/civil services worldwide; strategy consulting; relevant industry experience; private equity and finance; and international development.
All candidates will be required to have:
- Ideally 5-10 years of experience working on private sector development in emerging markets, including but not limited to issues related to international trade, private investment, commercial agriculture and industrial development.
- Experience facilitating and attracting companies to set up factories in emerging markets to export into the EU and UK Market.
- Proven experience contributing to fundraising proposal and bid process leading to securing institutional grants and funding from other sources (e.g. corporations; foundations; philanthropies etc)
- Experiential knowledge of institutional development and organisational management, including process and system engineering and capacity development. Experience working with senior executives is an asset.
- Proven ability to mentor, coach, and build capacity of national counterparts
- The ability to work with limited supervision on multiple tasks simultaneously while meeting deadlines is essential.
- Excellent writing, presentation skills and verbal communication skills. Knowledge of French would be an added advantage.
- Effective inter-personal and leadership skills. Team player with an ability to develop and foster relationships with counterparts across a large organization including with virtual teams
- A master’s degree in public policy, economics, finance, engineering or other relevant fields.
- Strong analytical and management skills, including sound knowledge of data analysis, strategic planning, and project management tools.
Above all, we are looking for individuals with high levels of enthusiasm, resilience, a can-do attitude and ability to consistently achieve results in a fast-paced environment.
VALUES EXPECT OUR ADVISORS TO SHARE WITH US:
- COURAGE… because to tackle global challenges, we must innovate and take smart risks
- COLLABORATION… because when we work together and with external partners, we can overcome even the largest problems
- COMPASSION … because our work is ultimately about improving people’s lives