Website Newmont Goldcorp Corporation
Connect your geology training with our well-established mining company; where you’ll find a good balance of field and technical work. You’ll have opportunities to work individually, within a group, and with other departments like Drill Services, Operations, Engineering, & Exploration. This role will assist a geology team by performing basic and entry-level geological research and evaluation assignments.
- Demonstrate a strong commitment to safety by actively participating in the Safety Journey programs and working safely on a daily basis.
- Demonstrate a strong commitment to the environment and follow Newmont Social Responsibility guidelines.
- Assist with field related duties associated with the execution of drilling, trenching, claim staking, geophysical, and geochemical programs.
- Using established procedures, compile, correlate basic data, such as drillhole, cross-section preparation and drillhole data entry into computer databases.
- Assist with field related duties including equipment shipping/receiving, equipment maintenance, survey logistics, transportation using four wheel drive vehicles, and grid surveying using conventional and GPS technology.
- Collect geochemical samples according to defined best practices, including collection and recording of field observations.
- Assist in preparation of technical reports such as monthly, quarterly, annual, project completion, and environmental regulatory reports. Computer drafting and graph/charts activities may be required.
- Perform field sample preparation and shipping, as instructed.
- Using established procedures, collect basic geologic data, such as, geochemical samples (rock chip, stream sediment, BLEG, soil, etc.), ore control, geologic mapping and/or drill cuttings and core logging under close supervision.
- Perform data entry and database management functions as necessary.
- Construct maps and diagrams.
- Communicate well, both verbally and in written form, with diverse groups (internal and external).
- Remain abreast of current developments in the geological discipline through industry, government contacts and review of literature and professional organizations.
The above duties and responsibilities are representative of the nature and level of work assigned and are not necessarily all-inclusive.
- Bachelor of Science degree in Geology or related field with demonstrated knowledge of geological principles.
- Technical skills learned at the university level are applied in the practical environment and developed through predominantly on-the-job training. Training focus is toward regional, local, or mine geologic settings. Activities are defined with supervisor guidance and significant training before releasing to sole responsibility.
- Previous experience in mining or exploration preferred but not required.
- Must be able to spend extended periods away from home base if required.
- Be able to work in mines, project sites, and/or greenfield exploration environments where conditions may be primitive and/or harsh at times. (Primitive/Harsh equals surface or underground environments, hot to extreme cold, desert or tropical rain forst to tundra conditions, remote field camps, high mountain terrain, steep rough terrain, long distance and/or time to advanced medical care.)
Our business success comes from the accomplishments and well-being of our employees and contractors. Our goal is to build a workplace culture that fosters leaders and allows every person to thrive, contribute, and grow. We are committed to selecting and developing our employees, and to establishing a work environment where everyone can take an active part in reaching our strategic goals while feeling a sense of pride in working at Newmont.
Newmont seeks to recruit, hire, place and promote qualified applicants, meaning applicants who meet the minimum requirements of the position, without regard to personal characteristics such as gender, race, nationality, ethnic, social and indigenous origin, religion or belief, disability, age or sexual orientation or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
NOTE: Newmont does not ask for or require job applicants to pay money to apply or be considered for employment with the Company. In addition, Newmont does not ask potential job candidates to provide sensitive personal data without first submitting a job application through our secure, online portal, and only as requested for legitimate business purposes. If you are asked to provide money or sensitive personal data through any other means, do not respond and please report this immediately to email@example.com.
To apply for this job please visit jobs.newmont.com.