Job Title: Field Coordinator – Asikuma
No. of Positions One
Sector: Programme Administration
Employment Category: Fixed Term
Employment Type: Full-Time
Contract Duration: One year, renewable
Open to Expatriates: No
Reports to: Project Manager
Start Date: 1st December 2020
Location: Asikuma, Central Region
Youth Empowerment Synergy (YES-Ghana) is an ECOSOC-accredited NGO at the forefront of youth development policy, practice and research in Ghana. For more than 15 years, we have provided tailored skills training for youth, leading to improvements in their leadership, financial literacy, entrepreneurship and life planning skills. Through our service delivery, we have provided education, skills training, and technical support to thousands of youth and helped them transition to self and wage employment. Our research has contributed to filling the gap in youth data and the evidence base for public policy. And, we continue to use our national appeal and grassroots constituency, through our Voices of Youth Coalition, to advocate and campaign for youth-inclusive policies at all levels. We are entering an exciting phase of growth at YES-Ghana and are looking for new people to help take us forward.
Purpose of the role:
YES-Ghana is an implementing partner for the Adwuma Pa project led by CARE International. The project aims at empowering vulnerable women and girls in the cocoa supply chain in 80 communities in 4 Municipal/District Assemblies in three regions in Ghana. The Municipal/District assemblies are Bibiani- Anhwiaso-Bekwai in the Western North Region; Asunafo North Municipality and Tano South
Municipality in Bono East Region and Asikuma Odoben Brakwa District in the Central Region. YES-Ghana is leading on the identification and training of girls aged 15 – 17 years in competency based, vocational and technical skills and linkages to financial support. YES-Ghana is recruiting a Field Coordinators to work in Asikuma Odoben Brakwa district to coordinate all field and administrative activities in the project communities. The Field Coordinator has administrative oversight of all activities of Trainers and Volunteers including operations, communications, programmes, data management and finance. The Field Coordinator will be based in the project district with occasional travel to the YES-Ghana head office when required. The Field Coordinator reports to the Project Manager.
• Lead the development of workplans to be submitted to Project Manager, and ensure that all Trainers and volunteers are aware of the daily, weekly and monthly plans for field activities
• Submit weekly and monthly reports to Project Manager
• Keep well-informed at all times of the whereabouts of all trainers and their movements
• Plan all logistics and review training plans with trainers before the delivery of soft skills training
• Monitor the implementation of the training by the trainers
• Review training sessions and provide coaching for all the trainers
• Identify and register master-crafts persons who will provide technical vocational training for girls
• Profile project participants according to their vocational skills aspirations
• Match participants to master-crafts persons
• Link project participants to financial services
• Collate weekly and monthly figures and report to Project Manager; track progress towards targets
• Compile referral lists; process and submit data in digital and paper formats
• Keep records of key community contacts; file paper work and other record keeping Operations
• Support in the recruitment of trainers for the project
• Lead on the screening activities and mobilisation events in the project designated communities
• Recruit volunteers for the project
• Monitor use of ADWUMA PA materials and equipment, e.g. Brochures, posters, T-shirts, banners and other equipment.
• Receive and report issues with the database.
Internal and external communications
• Serve as key point of contact for Project Manager and other YES-Ghana staff
• Report any issues arising in the field to Project Manager
• Liaise with Project Manager regarding new groups starting, training venues, logistics and any other issues relating to training
• Send photos and other social media content to Project Manager
• Plan ahead for financial needs and submit requests for funds for administrative and field activities in advance
• Manage field expenses, and be responsible for accounting and reconciliation of funds
• Keep monies safe and secure, including both funds for administrative and field activities as well as deposits from youth
• Other duties may be required from time to time, including responsibilities which require work on weekends and holidays for which time off in lieu (TOIL) may be taken
Qualification Required and Experience
• A minimum of two years professional experience in undertaking community work and/or youth-focussed activities.
• Experience in mobilising young people highly desired.
• Field research experience desirable, including conducting surveys and interviews.
• Experienced in providing active participant-centred training
• Experience in maintaining accurate project records, data entry or updating electronic databases a must.
• Experience in riding a motorcycle with valid licence A
Skills & Personal Attributes
• Strong communication, interpersonal and people management skills.
• Skills and commitment in building rapport with youth participants including ability to motivate others, as well as patience and empathy for marginalised youth from disadvantaged communities.
• Ability to establish and maintain effective working relations with subordinates, other staff, project participants and partners, as well as other stakeholders.
• Self-motivated, ability to take initiative and work independently with minimal supervision.
• Resourceful and able to deal with new or difficult situations, with good decision-making skills and sound judgement in resolving issues and problems.
• Good organisation and time management skills, confident managing multiple tasks at a time.
• Numerate and IT literate, with ability to use a complex Participant Management Database.
• Excellent attention to detail, high degree of accuracy and good information management skills.
• Fluency in English and Twi/Fante?
• Extensive knowledge of the local operating environment and familiarity with a variety of local communities in the respective communities.
• Willing to travel to different communities within and around assigned district/municipality.
• A flexible approach to work – work during evenings and at weekends may be required.
• Passion and commitment to gender equality and the empowerment of women
• Ability to work to high ethical standards and to uphold YES-Ghana’s guiding values and principles.
IMPORTANT NOTICE TO APPLICANTS:
• Applicants must be resident in Asikuma Odoben Brakwa District in the Central Region
• Applicants must have no criminal record
• Applicants must have no history of abuse of children and youth
• Background checks will be conducted before an offer of employment
• Female candidates are especially encouraged to apply
Salary & benefits:
• Competitive salary structure
• Accra Cost of Living allowance
• 13th month salary
• SSNIT contributions
• Medical and dental cover
• Group Personal Accident cover
• Time off in lieu (TOIL)
• Annual leave
• Sick leave
• Parental leave (maternal and paternal)
• 2 weeks Christmas and New Year break
• Professional development initiatives
How To Apply For The Job
Please submit a one-page motivation letter and an updated CV to:
firstname.lastname@example.org. Please use Field Coordinator – Asikuma as the subject line of your email. Be sure to highlight in the motivation letter how specifically you meet the qualifications, skills and experience requirements for this role. Due to capacity constraints, only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.
Closing Date: 31 October, 2020
Funding is provided by the United States Department of Labor /Bureau of International Labor Affairs under cooperative agreement number IL?32741-18-75K. 100 percentage of the total costs of the project or program is financed with federal funds, for a total of $5 million. This material does not necessarily reflect the views or policies of the United States Department of Labor, nor does mention of trade names, commercial products, or organizations imply endorsement by the United States Government.
You might also like;
YES-Ghana is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages all candidates, irrespective of gender, nationality, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of the organisation. YES-Ghana has a zero-tolerance policy on conduct that is incompatible with the aims and objectives of the organisation, including sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and processes, and discrimination. YES-Ghana also adheres to strict child safeguarding principles. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks, and will be expected to adhere to these standards and principles.