Deputy Chief of Party (DCOP)
Abt Associates is seeking a qualified Deputy Chief of Party (DCOP) to support the anticipated USAID West Africa Biodiversity and Low Emission Development Activity (WABiLED). This position located in Accra, Ghana, will provide overall strategic direction, technical leadership, and implementation for the task order under the STARR II IDIQ.
The DCOP will support the Chief of Party (COP) in overall management and administration of the WABiLED project and all its activities and cross-cutting tasks. The DCOP must manage program operations and administration, ensuring overall compliance with USAID rules and regulations, financial management, international and local personnel recruitment and management, subcontractor management, and project start-up and close-out.
The Deputy Chief of Party will lead efforts to promote biodiversity conservation and climate resilient, low-emissions development in West Africa and will provide a regional and targeted focus on the West Africa (Cote d’Ivoire, Guinea, Liberia, Sierra Leone) region to improve governance and policy over critical natural and human systems.
By working through regional partners, and with targeted national and sub-national institutions, this position will lead to increased capacity of institutions at all levels to reduce wildlife trafficking, deforestation, and forest degradation, establish and strengthen management of conservation areas in biodiverse landscapes, improve land use to mitigate greenhouse gas emissions, and explore private sector opportunities for achieving biodiversity and sustainable landscape objectives.
This position is contingent upon award.
Deputy Chief of Party Key Roles and Responsibilities
- Provide managerial and technical support to the COP, assisting in areas including work planning, implementation, monitoring, evaluating, and reporting processes
- Provide oversight for implementation of WABiLED activities, with responsibility (in collaboration with the COP) for the development of high-quality and timely deliverables, management, compliance, and reporting according to USAID and Abt Associates requirements
- In collaboration with the COP, establish and monitor project budget and progress reporting processes, using adaptive management techniques as appropriate
- Provide strategic oversight and leadership to subcontractors and local partners throughout the initial engagement and implementation phases
- Assist the COP in reporting and responding to USAID requests
Deputy Chief of Party Preferred Qualifications
- Graduate Degree (minimum) in environmental and natural resource management programming, biodiversity and conservation, wildlife trafficking, climate change, low emission standards, and/or other relevant fields
- Minimum 10 years of professional experience in environmental and natural resource management programming, biodiversity and conservation, wildlife trafficking, climate change, low emission standards, and/or other relevant fields
- Demonstrated team player with effective cross-cultural interpersonal skills; able to develop and communicate a common vision among diverse partners and lead multidisciplinary teams
- Ability to resolve sensitive and complicated work issues with senior high-level country counterparts, donor representative and senior-level staff
- Should demonstrate excellent interpersonal, managerial, organizational, oral and written communication skills, and proven leadership abilities within a multi-partner initiative
- Demonstrated experience interacting with government agencies, civil society counterparts, and international donor agencies; USAID experience preferred
- Fluency in English and language skills in French are highly desirable
Minimum Qualifications of the Deputy Chief of Party
- (10+) years of experience and a bachelor degree OR the equivalent combination of education and experience