Consultant, Project External Evaluation
Rainforest Alliance is a legally registered organization in Ghana, with an office in Accra, Kumasi and sub-office in Western Region. Its main activities in Ghana are in the cocoa sector and extend to other agricultural commodities and the broad field of sustainable land management. Rainforest Alliance works across the West Africa region, with field-level activities in Côte d’Ivoire, Nigeria, Liberia, and Sierra Leone. For more information, please visit http://www.rainforest-alliance.org/about.
- Project: Rainforest Alliance-Olam Partnership for Livelihoods and Forest Landscape Management in Western Ghana
- Reporting to: Project Manager, Rainforest Alliance, Accra
- Location: Ghana (Western North Region)
- Period of consultancy: 15 days (November 2020)
- To what extent did the Project achieve its overall objectives?
- To what extent were the results (objectives, impacts, outcomes and outputs) achieved ?
- How effective were the strategies and tools used in the implementation of the project?
- How effective has the project been in responding to the needs of the beneficiaries?
- Describe the management processes and their appropriateness in supporting delivery
- Was the process of achieving results efficient? Specifically did the actual or expected results (outputs and outcomes) justify the costs incurred? Were the resources effectively utilized?
- Did project activities overlap and duplicate other similar interventions (funded nationally and /or by other donors? Are there more efficient ways and means of delivering more and better results (outputs and outcomes) with the available inputs?
- Could a different approach have produced better results?
- How was the project’s collaboration with RA, Olam, Forestry Commission, COCOBOD and Sefwi Traditional Council.
- How efficient were the management and accountability structures of the project?
- How did the project financial management processes and procedures affect project implementation?
- What were the key challenges and risks faced by the project, and were they addressed adequately and efficiently?
- What were the strengths, weaknesses, opportunities of the project’s implementation process?
- To what extent did the Project’s M&E mechanism contribute in meeting project results?
Sustainability – To what extent are the benefits of the projects likely to be sustained after the completion of this project?
- What is the likelihood of continuation and sustainability of project outcomes and benefits after completion of the project?
- How effective were the exit strategies, and approaches to phase out assistance provided by the project including contributing factors and constraints
- Describe key factors that will require attention in order to improve prospects of sustainability of Project outcomes and the potential for replication of the approach?
- How were capacities strengthened at the individual and organizational level (including contributing factors and constraints)?
- What are the key strategies needed to ensure sustainability of project outcomes, and what are the key challenges that may impede this?
- Describe the main lessons learned from the project
- What are the recommendations for similar support in future? (The recommendations should provide comprehensive proposals for future interventions based on the current evaluation findings).
- Desk study and review of all relevant project documentation including project documents, annual work-plans and project progress reports.
- Document review (including but not limited to project proposal, project reports and analysis, donor feedback documents, Landscape Management Board documents – meeting minutes, reports, etc)
- In depth interviews to gather primary data from key stakeholders using a structured methodology
- Focus Group discussions with project beneficiaries and other stakeholders.
- Interviews with relevant key informants
- Field observations
The following deliverables are expected:
- Executive summary
- Description of the evaluation methodology and challenges encountered during the evaluation
- Key findings on Effectiveness, Efficiency and Sustainability, and a grading (Unsatisfactory, Moderately Satisfactory, Satisfactory) for each of these categories, as well as for the overall project. A brief justification should be provided for each grade.
- Identification of the project´s good practices and key lessons learned
- Conclusions and recommendations, including analysis of opportunities to provide guidance for future programming
- Appendices: Terms of reference of the ToR, field visits, people interviewed, documents reviewed, etc.
Price of Proposal
The applicant should submit detailed price quotation. The financial proposal should be calculated in Ghana cedis (GHS), including all taxes and duties. Please note that the contract price will be fixed regardless of changes in the cost components.
Recommended presentation of offer
Technical proposal not exceeding 7 pages which includes the Consultant expertise and track record and proposed methodology/ approach and implementation plan and compressed CV.
Criteria for selection of offer
Combined scoring method will be used. The qualifications and methodology will be given a 70% weight and the price offer will be weighted 30%. The qualifications and methodology will be weighted as follows:
- Educational/professional background expertise in project evaluation (evaluated by reviewing submitted documentation of background and samples of previous work): 25%
- Proposed methodology for the completion of services: 25%
- Qualifications of key personnel: 10%
- Expressed ability and commitment to deliver against deadlines: 10%
Required Skills or Experience
The aspirant shall send his/her curriculum vitae and a letter of interest in English, emphasizing his/her development project design and evaluation experience over the last 5 years, indicating countries or regions in Ghana where this work has been done. The Evaluator shall as well as his/her English and Twi literacy levels.
- Required, university degree in environment, natural resource management, agriculture, environmental/agricultural economics, or related area. A Master´s degree is highly preferred.
- Required, at least 2 development project evaluations successfully completed in developing countries, preferably having played a leading role in the evaluation team.
- Preferred, development project experience in Ghana
- Preferred, experience in development project design and evaluation, involving international donors.
- Required, proven full command of Twi, and excellent writing and oral English skills.
How To Apply
Proposals should be submitted to email@example.com with the subject line- Project External Evaluation, should be received by October 31, 2020.