Chief of Party
The International Development Division focuses on improving the lives and economic well-being of people in lower and middle-income countries.
We command technical expertise in health, agriculture, climate change, food security and governance—as well as in international evaluation.
Other New Jobs in Ghana Today:
Our multi-layered health portfolio includes policy, health promotion and disease prevention, health finance, and health systems management. In partnership with government clients and local experts, our high-quality programs in Africa, Asia, Latin America, and the Middle East are known for impact and innovation.
Abt Associates is seeking a qualified Chief of Party (COP) for the anticipated USAID West Africa Biodiversity and Low Emission Development Activity (WABiLED). This position located in Accra, Ghana, will provide overall strategic direction, technical leadership, and implementation for the task order under the STARR II IDIQ. The COP will represent Abt to promote and facilitate close coordination with involved governmental and inter-agency partners. They will also lead efforts to complement and collaborate with implementing partners working at regional, district, facility, and community level to work with the private sector and capitalize on existing opportunities and ongoing activities as appropriate.
The position will lead efforts to promote biodiversity conservation and climate resilient, low-emissions development in West Africa and will provide a regional and targeted focus on the West Africa (Cote d’Ivoire, Guinea, Liberia, Sierra Leone) region to improve governance and policy over critical natural and human systems. By working through regional partners, and with targeted national and sub-national institutions, this position will lead to increased capacity of institutions at all levels to reduce wildlife trafficking, deforestation, and forest degradation, establish and strengthen management of conservation areas in biodiverse landscapes, improve land use to mitigate greenhouse gas emissions, and explore private sector opportunities for achieving biodiversity and sustainable landscape objectives.
This position is contingent upon award.
Key Roles and Responsibilities
- Providing strategic direction and technical leadership to produce project results
- Serving as the project’s key liaison with USAID, government counterparts, and local partners/stakeholders
- Providing leadership and technical support specifically for project staff and subcontractors
- Supervising the project’s technical assistance team to ensure a focus on core results, achievements of annual work plan and targets, and timely/effective implementation
- Collaboratively creating and implementing a strategic, long-term programmatic vision
- Monitoring the progress and pace of project implementation, assuring that the full potential of the program is realized through the promotion of high quality work and internal control
- Graduate Degree (minimum) in environmental and natural resource management programming, biodiversity and conservation, wildlife trafficking, climate change, low emission standards, and/or other relevant fields
- Minimum 10 years of professional experience in environmental and natural resource management programming, biodiversity and conservation, wildlife trafficking, climate change, low emission standards, and/or other relevant fields
- Provides leadership and technical support specifically for activity staff and subcontractors to ensure a focus on core results, achievements of annual work plan and targets, and timely/effective implementation.
- Should demonstrate excellent interpersonal, managerial, organizational, oral and written communication skills, and proven leadership abilities within a multi-partner initiative
- Chief of Party experience preferred
- Demonstrated experience interacting with government agencies, civil society counterparts, and international donor agencies; USAID experience preferred
- Fluency in English and language skills in French are highly desirable
Abt Associates is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer committed to fostering a diverse workforce. Abt Associates provides market-competitive salaries and comprehensive employee benefits.