Newmont Mining Corporation is a leading global gold producer with key assets in Nevada, Peru, Australia, Ghana and Suriname.
Newmont’s Africa Operations holds two gold mining operations in Ghana: the Ahafo Mine located in the Brong-Ahafo region and the Akyem Mine located in the Eastern region. There is also near mine exploration and development focus in Ghana to annually replace gold reserves. Newmont Africa also has early-stage exploration programs in the African countries of Ethiopia and Morocco.
Our Africa operations employ approximately 5,900 employees and contractors, with the majority working at the Ahafo Mine. We offer an unparalleled blend of opportunity and career satisfaction with all the benefits you would expect from a global company. This, combined with our growth opportunities, makes Newmont a great company to work.
Our Akyem and Ahafo mines have made significant sustainable community development investments in our host communities. These include establishing Development Funds at our Akyem and Ahafo operational areas with each mine contributing US$1 per ounce of gold sold and 1% of net pre-tax annual profit into its community development fund.
The only gold company listed in the S&P 500 index, Newmont in 2007 became the first gold company selected to be part of the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index. Newmont’s industry leading performance is reflected through our Africa operations’ high standards in environmental management, health and safety for our workforce and creating value and opportunity for our employees, host communities and Newmont’s shareholders.
ABOUT THIS ROLE
The Business Analyst is to oversee the financial analysis, cost controls, financial modelling, and budgeting with an emphasis on processing, analyzing and reporting financial transactions associated with business activity within designated operational or support area(s). To provide and establish day-to-day business advice as well as accounting procedures within guidelines and policies established by the Newmont Accounting Policy.
Stakeholder Reporting and Business Advisory Service
• Provide management with the appropriate information for various “what if” scenarios.
• Interact with department heads in the review of their cost centre reports and facilitate their understanding of costs charged to their cost centre.
• Serve as a liaison between accounting, business planning and assigned operating group.
• Attend assigned departmental meetings.
Execute continuous improvement initiatives or opportunities within the accounting areas
Planning and Cost Control
• Coordinate, compile and analyze planned and forecasted cost performance and financial results from key stakeholders for global and external stakeholder reporting
• Resolve disputed cost centre charges prior to the close.
• Provide support in the control over the maintenance of costs by responsibility, activity, cost centre, element and other performance indicators.
• Support the AFE and PDD preparation for capital expenditures.
• Review and analyze monthly financial reports to identify potential cost control issues.
• Compile the monthly variance analysis of the operations, looking at budget versus, forecasts and previous plan etc. for the site and corporate reporting purposes.
• Implement metrics and monitor results for areas of responsibilities and employees to track progress towards the company and departmental goals.
• Build financial models or other driver-based planning functionality for various departments, including, but not limited to support areas, Finance and Treasury schedules during the yearly budget and quarterly forecasts.
• Maintain a working knowledge of software applications, accounting issues, and processes so that information is efficiently and easily gathered with a high degree of accuracy
Training & Experience
Formal Qualification (including Professional Registrations)
• Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting or Finance.
• Chartered / Certified Accountant qualification is an advantage.
• Knowledge of U.S. Generally Accepted Accounting Procedures (GAAP).
• Knowledge of costing and budgeting concepts and techniques.
• Familiar with Activity Base Costing (ABC – Model).
• Between 3 and 5 years of relevant accounting experience, or 10 years of combination of education and experience in financial modeling, cost control and economic analysis, or similar.
• Mining, construction, utilities or other heavy industry experience is preferred.
• Experience in SAP and Business Planning Consolidation (BPC) is preferred.
• Must have experience with a computer-based accounting system.
• Demonstrated people management experience and the ability to work with internal and external partners and experience with continuous improvement programs and integrated management systems.
• Advanced analytical and problem-solving skills.
• Advanced communication (written and verbal) and interpersonal skills.
• Advanced computer literacy skills – MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook).
• Strong leadership and management presentation skills.
• Time management skills.
• Advanced information monitoring and management skills.
• Coaching and mentoring skills.
• Financial administration, analysis and reporting skills.
• The position is located at the Akyem Mine Site Ghana , West Africa
• The incumbent may be required to perform work at remote and isolated construction sites.
• The incumbent may be required to travel to and support other domestic sites
Our business success comes from the accomplishments and well-being of our employees and contractors. Our goal is to build a workplace culture that fosters leaders and allows every person to thrive, contribute, and grow. We are committed to selecting and developing our employees, and to establishing a work environment where everyone can take an active part in reaching our strategic goals while feeling a sense of pride in working at Newmont.
Newmont seeks to recruit, hire, place and promote qualified applicants, meaning applicants who meet the minimum requirements of the position, without regard to personal characteristics such as gender, race, nationality, ethnic, social and indigenous origin, religion or belief, disability, age or sexual orientation or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
NOTE: Newmont does not ask for or require job applicants to pay money to apply or be considered for employment with the Company. In addition, Newmont does not ask potential job candidates to provide sensitive personal data without first submitting a job application through our secure, online portal, and only as requested for legitimate business purposes. If you are asked to provide money or sensitive personal data through any other means, do not respond and please report this immediately to email@example.com.