Which team will you join?
AFD has a network of 85 agencies abroad. Each of these agencies is attached locally to a Regional Department as well as to a Geographic Department at headquarters, responsible for coordinating the various teams of experts in Paris.
Joining us as an international agency volunteer will allow you to gain experience in financing development projects, in close proximity to our local partners and in coordination with all of the Group’s businesses.
In 2 years, you will develop your skills to manage complex projects, from the prospecting / sectoral monitoring phase, through the instruction of the project, its monitoring and until the evaluation.
The AFD agency in Accra, which is attached to the Regional Directorate of the Gulf of Guinea, has 16 agents, and is celebrating its 35th year of activity in Ghana in 2020.
Its intervention strategy mainly revolves around the following three objectives: Developing rural areas while conserving their natural capital; Support urban development and the empowerment of local communities; and Foster the development of a responsible productive sector.
Obviously, in addition, for each intervention, consistency with the Paris Agreement, in favor of a low-carbon and resilient development trajectory for Ghana, is sought and attention is paid to the strengthening of social ties, in particular via the reduction of inequalities.
The main projects funded by the agency are in the energy sector (strengthening the electricity transmission network and regional interconnection); sustainable cities (urban mobility in Kumasi) and agricultural water management.
Consult the country file: https://www.afd.fr/fr/page-region-pays/ghana
What will your role be?
Under the responsibility of the agency’s management and in support of the project manager based at headquarters, will ensure operational monitoring of projects in the agricultural and rural development and environment sectors.
The portfolio of projects revolves around the financing of contractual agriculture schemes (perennial crops), the instruction of financing dedicated to the management of agricultural water in northern Ghana (notably by mobilizing European funds ).
The portfolio of activities also includes a prospecting dimension on subjects linked to the environment, as well as the monitoring of NGO projects and funded by AFD and having application points in Ghana.
Finally, specific regional missions will be entrusted to it with regard to the ex-post evaluations of projects to be carried out within the Regional Directorate, and the monitoring of partnerships with the European institutions.
Your main missions are thus:
1. Monitor the projects in execution in connection with the geographic, technical and legal departments of the head office as well as with local partners and project owners;
2. Participate in the implementation of technical cooperation programs or actions;
3. Monitor procurement and implement disbursements;
4. Organize and support project supervision and monitoring missions;
5. Contribute to the organization of operational and institutional communication on these projects.
6. Centralize the resources and tools related to the ex-post evaluation of projects within the countries of the Gulf of Guinea Regional Directorate, in conjunction with the headquarters teams specializing in this area.
7. To be the focal point on EU issues for the Regional Direction of the Gulf of Guinea, ensuring a privileged information relay on modes of instruction, relations with the EU, capitalization, harmonization of practices at the level from the DR.
You contribute to the identification and instruction of new operations to finance in the agricultural and rural development and environment sectors:
1. Participate in prospecting / origination, identification, development of feasibility studies and implementation of new projects;
2. Ensure sectoral monitoring, follow national policies and contribute to the definition of the sectoral intervention strategy;
3. Take part in sectoral dialogues and working groups in collaboration with local authorities, other donors, and NGOs and companies in the sector;
4. Represent AFD vis-à-vis the national authorities, service providers and other technical and financial partners.
The assignment to Accra is scheduled for September 2020
Who are we looking for?
1. Skills sought
With a higher university education or a graduate from a major school, you have acquired a specialization in agronomy or rural development in connection with the portfolio of projects entrusted.
Skills in agricultural water management, environment, project management, project evaluation, or financial would be appreciated.
You have had the opportunity to put these skills into practice as part of your first international experiences, ideally in a developing country. You are particularly motivated by the problems of development aid.
2. Human / relational qualities
You have a very good interpersonal skills, you appreciate teamwork and have excellent writing, analysis and synthesis skills. You are also rigorous, organized and proactive.
You appreciate versatility and have a good ability to adapt to a different cultural context. This position requires high availability and will allow you to develop your ability to manage priorities as well as your resilience to the difficulties encountered.
3. Level of study / diploma
You hold a diploma at Bac + 5 / Master 2 level obtained within an engineering school, or a university, in particular, in the field of agronomy, rural development or management of ‘environment.
Mastery of English is indispensable. Knowledge of a local language will also be an asset.
A few words about VIA
International Volunteering in Administration (VIA) is a form of Civic Service supervised by the Ministry of European and Foreign Affairs (MEAE). Its duration is 12 months renewable.
The VIA is reserved for candidates of European nationality and aged 28 years maximum. From the confirmation of recruitment by AFD’s HRD, it takes 3 months of administrative and logistical preparations before you take up your post. For more information, visit: www.civiweb.com.
Why join the French Development Agency?
Joining AFD is contributing to the construction of a common world, this is the mission of our Group. A world in common is a world that preserves and defends these five great common goods of the planet, social ties, peace, partnerships and economic prosperity.
Word from your future manager:
“The Accra agency relies on a team of fifteen people, multicultural and multi-profile. Committing to it implies having important interpersonal skills, a sense of interculturality and a great ability to listen and respect different actors and partners.
Ghana, rich in its history and its human capital, strives to meet the various challenges of sustainable development with which its population is confronted. Supporting such dynamics is both exciting and demanding.
Accra offers good living conditions, both in terms of the diversity of the cultural and sporting offer and the security conditions. Everyday life can be affected by the duration of trips. »Jildaz EVIN
Certain vacancies give rise to a large number of candidates, so if you are interested in this position, we invite you to apply as soon as possible.
Please login to your account to bookmark this entry.
Apply For job
To apply for this job please visit afd.csod.com.