Is Email Job Application Letter Still Necessary this Days?
It is a recommended practice that if you are sending your job application through an email, you should use the main body of the email as your covering letter.
However, due to the requirements of employers in developing countries such as Ghana, it is recommended that you still attach your Cover Letter. The reason is that some employers would need both cover letter letters and CV as two separate word or PDF documents.
Having this in mind, how do you write a good email covering letter?
Herein, we have provided two approaches:
#1: Write a Good Cover Letter and then Copy and Paste it in your Email
With this approach, the trick is to tell employer how you meet their key requirements so that you can immediately make a good impression and entice them to open the attachment and look at your CV in more detail.
- In the subject line of the email, list the vacancy title, reference number and your full name.
- Use the body of the email to convince the recruiter in three to five bullet points that you are the right person for the job. One way to approach this is to identify the main goal of the job at hand and then highlight at least one key accomplishments that relate to the identified objective. Then highlight your academic credentials, soft skills and behavioral traits that meets the job description. Finally, highlight how you meet special perks and requirements of the job description. For instance if your location is close to the office, or you like traveling etc please let the employers know as it gives you an added advantage. In doing all these, be mindful of two things: tell employers what they want to hear and secondly, do not replicate what is your CV!
- Send the CV as an attachment clearly labelled with your full name and the job title
- Spell-check before sending the email (Grammarly and Ginger are free applications you can always use to spice up your articles)
#2: Use a Strong Value Proposition to Increase Your Email Opening Rate!!
This second approach to an electronic mail applications works well if you have a very clear value proposition. Upon entering the subject line field as described above, you just need to start with a salutation and then concisely present your proposed value in one or two sentences. Then, indicate that you have attached your CV and letter and provide your availability and contact details in case the employer wishes to call you to interview.
Having learned the two approaches, we are concluding this post with a brief guide to help you improve your email job applications.Pleaese ensure the following:
- Arial or Times New Roman size 10–12 for body of text and size 14 for headings
- Standard margin lengths
- Bold used sparingly, principally for headings
- No columns or boxes
- No graphics, photos or Jpegs
- No shading
Do you need an advice on your Cover Letter? Do you know you can get an expert critique of your CV for free? Contact Sobiaonline here