DAADHelmut-Schmidt-Programme (Masters Scholarship for Public Policy and Good Governance) Call for applications 2021
Helmut-Schmidt-Programme – DAAD
The Helmut-Schmidt-Programme for Master’s Scholarship in Public Policy and Good Governance has a current call for applications for the 2020-2021 season targeting developing countries.
This programme is designed to further qualify future leaders in politics, law, economics and administration according to the principles of good governance and to prepare them in a practice-oriented course for their professional life.
Very good graduates with a first university degree get the chance to obtain a master’s degree in disciplines that are of special relevance to the social, political and economic development of their home country.
The knowledge and experience acquired in Germany should enable the scholar- ship holders to later contribute to the establishment of democratically ori- ented economic and social systems aimed at overcoming social tensions.
With this programme, DAAD intends to support the good governance and civil society structures in selected partner countries and regions.
Who Can Apply
The scholarship programme is open to graduates from developing countries (see list of countries) in the field of social sciences, political sci- ences, law, economics and in public administration.
Target Group for the Helmut-Schmidt-Programme
The programme is open for very well qualified graduates with a first univer- sity degree (bachelor or equivalent) who want to actively contribute to the social and economic development of their home countries or regions.
It is offered both for young graduates without professional experience and for mid-career professionals.
What is fundable?
• Scholarship of monthly 850 € for selected master´s programmes at German institutions of higher education listed below.
• The study programmes are usually starting in Sep/Oct 2021 and are taught in German and/or English.
• contributions to health insurance in Germany
• appropriate travel allowance
• study and research subsidy
• monthly rent subsidy where applicable
• allowances for spouses and/or children where applicable
• 6-months-German language course from April 2021 up to the end of September 2021. The language course takes place at selected in- stitutes in Germany and usually not at the universities of the selected master´s programmes. The language course is compulsory also for those who attend a master´s course taught in English.
Due to its blended-learning-concept the following special conditions are laid down to finance the study programme “Analysis and design of social protection systems”:
• During the online semester in your home country or another developing country DAAD provides a sur-place-rate of 500 EUR.
- Allowances for spouses and/or children are not applicable, as far as the programme includes study-phases in Germany and in your home country.
The scholarship holders are offered a special tutoring at their host institutions financed by DAAD. Furthermore, the scholars are invited to participate at different networking events.
DAAD-scholarship holders within the Helmut-Schmidt-Programme are ex- empted from tuition fees.
Requirements for the Helmut-Schmidt-Programme
Main DAAD selection criteria:
• Academic degree with far above average results (upper third)
• language skills (every university has different language proficiency requirements)
• political and social engagement
• a convincing description of the subject-related and personal motiva- tion for the study project in Germany
• expected benefit when returning to the home country or region
Most recent university degree should be obtained in the last six years
prior to the application for the scholarship.
Applicants who have stayed in Germany for more than 15 months at the time of the application deadline are not considered as eligible.
All master´s courses have further additional requirements that must be fulfilled by the applicants in any case.
Applications must be submitted in German or English.
Please indicate that you are applying for the DAAD Helmut-Schmidt- Programme (Master’s scholarships for Public Po-licy and Good Gov- ernance).
You are allowed to submit your application for up to two master`s courses
Fill in the DAAD Application form for Research Grants and Study Scholar- ships (annex 2) only once making clear which study course is your first and which is your second priority.
Write a single letter of motivation for both university courses you choose, justifying your first and second priority choice.
Send the DAAD scholarship form together with the letter of motivation and accompanied with the necessary documents listed below to the two universities of your choice. Do NOT send it to DAAD.
The necessary documents are:
- DAAD Application form for Research Grants and Study Scholar- ships (hand-signed, but electronically edited)
- Hand-signed and dated motivation letter (one single letter for both universities) containing a precise description of the applicants’ aca- demic/professional and personal reasons for choosing those mas- ter´s programmes and universities (two pages maximum)
- Hand-signed and dated full curriculum vitae including information about the precise field of your studies, your political and social en- gagement and, if applicable, description of job experience
- Copy of acquired Academic Degrees (certified translation if neces- sary, please attach an explanation of the grading system)
- Copy of the transcript of records (certified translation if necessary)
- Recent language certificates (German and/or English)
- One letter of recommendation, signed and recently dated by your university professor or current employer, supplemented by an official letterhead, and stamp (not in a sealed envelope)
If applicable certificates of employment to support relevant profes- sional experience mentioned in your CV by documentary evidence
The application period at all 8 universities lasts from June 1st to July 31st, 2020.
Please submit only legible copies of your documents.
Please consider that illegible documents can lead to a formal rejection.
In case your application has been sent to more than two universities or if non-specific priorities are given your application will not be ac- cepted.
Applications sent to the DAAD will not be forwarded to the respective course/university. They become property of the DAAD and will not be re- turned. The applicant has no right to claim for reimbursement.
In case your application is sent to more than two universities or if non-specific priorities are given your application will not be accepted.
Only complete applications can be accepted.
If you fail to follow the given procedures, you will be excluded from the application process.
In October/November 2020 a selection committee consisting of university professors and DAAD representatives meets and suggests potential candi- dates for a DAAD scholarship.
Afterwards the suggested candidates are contacted by DAAD to upload their complete application to the DAAD Portal.
Important: Make sure that you have a copy of each document of your application ready, as those documents (as PDF files) have to be up- loaded to the DAAD Portal in case you are suggested for a DAAD scholar- ship!
The selection process will be finalized. All applicants will be informed at the end of the selection process – approx. by the end of December 2020.
40 total views, 1 today