- Project: Learning at Scale
- Reports to: Education Research Officer
- Potential Work Locations: Kenya/India/Tanzania/Ghana/Pakistan/Nepal/TBD.1
SCOPE OF WORK
RTI is an independent international organization dedicated to conducting innovative, multi-disciplinary research that improves the human condition. With a worldwide staff of more than 4,000 people, RTI offers innovative research and development and a full spectrum of multi-disciplinary services. Universities in North Carolina founded RTI in 1958 as a centerpiece of the Research Triangle Park.
RTI International has received funding from Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation through the Center for Global Development to conduct the Learning at Scale research study. Learning at Scale examines successful large-scale education programs in low- and middle-income counties to establish the ingredients for improving learning at scale.
The research study will look most closely at the instructional characteristics of effective programs as well as how the programs worked with the system. It will involve collecting data through classroom observations and interviews with teachers, headteachers, district and central ministry officials and project staff.
To support the Learning at Scale research study, we seek a qualified Education Research Consultant. This research consultant will facilitate and coordinate the research study by engaging with the Ministry of Education, the organization being researched, and the data collection firms in each country.
The Education Research consultant will be expected to perform the following duties:
- Provide access to key government education officers in the country
- Guide the process of getting research approval in the country
- Support the relationships with the organization being researched as well as the data collection firm hired
- Assist in identifying potential data collection firms and communications
- Manage logistics related to meetings and workshops
- Train assessors in the research study
- Support the data collection process in the schools and government offices in the sampled sites.
- Supervise assessors during data collection.
- Create and maintain cordial relations with the government officials and respondents in the field.
- Maintain regular communication with the Education Research Officer and the Principal Investigator.
- Other duties as assigned by the Education Research Officer or the Principal Investigator
This is a short-term consultancy for a period not exceeding 15 days to carry out the tasks as outlined above. Future consultancy arrangements may be discussed upon successful completion of these tasks.
Required Skills or Experience
- Minimum of a Master’s degree in education or a research related field
- Good communication and report writing skills
- At least 8 years’ experience in the education sector in the stated country
- Significant experience in educational research and the research process
- Close relationships with key education officials in the government
- Strong analytical and planning skills;
- Excellent managerial, supervisory, and interpersonal skills;
- Ability to manage multiple priorities and demanding timeframes;
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision;
- Excellent oral and written communication skills;
- Fluency in the official and national languages of the country of interest.
- Ability to communicate at a professional level in English.
- Must be currently based in the country of interest.
How To Apply
If you meet the above qualifications, please send a cover letter and CV, with a list of three references and contact information. In the subject line of your email, please include Research Consultant and the country name which you’re applying to support. Applications should be submitted by email to LASfirstname.lastname@example.org, and must be received before August 28, 2019.