Consultant – IT platform development GIS & Web Application at IFDC
The West and Central African Council for Agricultural Research (CORAF) and the International Fertilizers Development Centre (IFDC) are implementing two five-year, regional USAID-funded, Feed the Future projects, PAIRED “Partnership for Agricultural Research, Education and Development” and EnGRAIS “Enhancing Growth through Regional Agricultural Inputs Systems”.
Through these two projects, CORAF and IFDC will finalize and disseminate agro-input packages, including improved seed, appropriate fertilizer recommendations and good agricultural practices (GAPs) suitable for the main crops across different agro-ecological zones (AEZs) in West Africa to contribute to sustainably increasing agricultural productivity.
The input packages are being developed together with the private sector, who will following their development promote, market and disseminate them to users, including producers and agro-business actors (men and women).
Specifications for the agro-input packages will also be disseminated through the on-line Fertilizer and Seed Recommendations for West Africa Map (FeSeRWAM).
The FeSeRWAM prototype was developed and validated by CORAF, IFDC and their partners as well as some representatives of future/potential users.
The current call aims to recruit a team of consultants to Finalize Development and Operationalize the full FeSeRWAM platform and host it online based on current FeSeRWAM validated prototype.
CORAF and IFDC now invite individuals or firms from ECOWAS countries to compete for the opportunity to perform the work mentioned above.
The two institutions will co-finance related costs through their respective projects. Interested consultants may obtain further information from the respective websites: www.coraf.org and www.ifdc.org.
Individuals or firms will be recruited on a competitive basis according to USAID procedures and according to international standards.
The team of consultants will organize itself to meet the work objectives and provide the expected deliverables. They will receive administrative assistance from the project team.
The team of consultants will report periodically to the ad hoc committee set up by the two project teams. They will have access to all relevant documents and the validated prototype of the FeSeRWAM.
The work will be conducted by a team of experts, (including IT and platform development, GIS and web applications development experts). The consultants will designate which one of the incumbents will lead the team.
Expertise of the team
GIS and web applications, and IT programming and development.
The consultant will develop the FeSeRWAM platform under the direction of the PAIRED and EnGRAIS teams, including:
- Develop a user-friendly, responsive online interactive map platform
- Analyze platform, review and design;
- Review the database structure;
- Design Graphic User Interface (GUI) for validation;
- Implement the database structure;
- Develop web interface;
- Develop or use Content management systems (CMS) for implementation;
- Testing and bugs fixing;
- Develop a user manual and provide source code documentation;
- Deploy the platform on IFDC/CORAF online server;
- Train IFDC and CORAF on the platform administration and maintenance; and
- Provide technical support to IFDC/CORAF team for 6 months after development/deployment.
Period of completion of the project
The consultant’s team will have 30 working days for this consultancy to develop the full FeSeRWAM with all its functionality suggested by the two project teams and their partners. They will conduct this work between October to December 2019.
Required Skills of ConsultantMaster’s Degree, Engineer or PhD; major (IT, GIS)
Other Recommended Consulting Opportunities in Ghana for you:
Required Experience of Consultant
- Experience in developing GIS web applications;
- Proven experience in development and management of relational databases (DBMS);
- Proven experience in development and management of online platform;
- Advanced experience in using ESRI or open source mapping tools;
- Experience in R, Python, Java EE and web technologies;
- Experience in graphic user interface design;
- Excellent knowledge of ICT and agricultural extension relationship; and;
- Similar projects developed in the past 3 years (provide hyperlinks).